Model Cars Magazine Forum

Herbie Rides Again

spencer1984

The original Herbie was a '63 VW, which unfortunately has never been properly kitted or made available in diecast. The closest thing is Fabbri's '61 VW, which is virtually identical (aside from the Wolfsburg crest on the hood) and even comes in L87 Pearl White. The only down side is that they only made eight, and they were all accidentally shipped to a clothing store in Utah that occasionally sells one when they find the box. I've had an easier time tracking down Nitto Vanette kits from the late '70s than I have these diecasts that were made in 2010.

Still, I finally managed to track down a second one, and after some cleaning, corrected details, and a set of decals from Hobby Design, I now have the titular car from Herbie Rides Again:

herbie-herbieridesagain.jpg

Now I just need to find two more...

Edited by spencer1984

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw there's a blue version, but I was still hoping for another off-white (or two).  There's a place in North Yorkshire called Jaunty Jalopies Collectables that claims to have a bunch, but their e-mail address is no good and they've blocked contact through eBay messaging.

There is this white one on Ebay currently: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331568978266

Let me know if you want it and I will get it for you.

• 2 weeks later...