Model Cars Magazine Forum

My in progress trucks: Kenworth S2

Im diggin that junkyard brockway Terry! I like the torn seats!

Thanks Sam. I drilled a few holes in the seats, thinned the plastic from the back, made the holes irregularly shaped with my exacto, and pulled some cotton through from behind. I had to super glue the cotton to make it be still. 

This is the last update for tonight. Just some more paint detail. I darkened in the grill, silvered the fender tread, brushed in some rust, and brushed the tires with some thinned olive drab green. I detailed the rear wheels, which will then be rusted and dirtied. Plenty more to come.

Thanks Sam. I drilled a few holes in the seats, thinned the plastic from the back, made the holes irregularly shaped with my exacto, and pulled some cotton through from behind. I had to super glue the cotton to make it be still. 

This is the last update for tonight. Just some more paint detail. I darkened in the grill, silvered the fender tread, brushed in some rust, and brushed the tires with some thinned olive drab green. I detailed the rear wheels, which will then be rusted and dirtied. Plenty more to come.

D91838DB-6B09-4B7B-802A-A179E04DA128_zps

EECB35A2-5853-4237-A348-9E050A6134E7_zps

terry, i saw someone do something similar to a seat once, but they also added little strips of duct tape, it really looked good! Keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

I read this thread & understand your first few words about getting a strong focus on a project and starting it. I started building/converting trucks about 8 months ago - I also do planes, ships, armor. I have 128 kits/projects started and wondered why so many? I have come to the realization that two factors are involved; A. I run out of reference data on a particular subject, and, B. I find new reference data to another subject that catches my eye. Guess it's time to buy a bottle of focus factor :)

It's partially scratchbuilt. The main body is the tub from the dump trailer kit. The horizontal ribs are from an Italeri container kit. The axles and landing gear are from an AMT tanker. The frameless arms are scratchbuilt. This was a project I started about 15 years ago. It was pretty rough, and would have only looked good weathered and rusted. It's been stashed away until this project. I forget which kit the wheels are from.

It's partially scratchbuilt. The main body is the tub from the dump trailer kit. The horizontal ribs are from an Italeri container kit. The axles and landing gear are from an AMT tanker. The frameless arms are scratchbuilt. This was a project I started about 15 years ago. It was pretty rough, and would have only looked good weathered and rusted. It's been stashed away until this project. I forget which kit the wheels are from.

I kinda thought that you used the tub from the gravel trailer. the rest is just smart building. I like it.

Be Well

Gator

Just a small update, but I think this thread may actually be helping get some of these done. I finally found the proper location for the rear axles and glued them in place. This allowed me to cut down the  end of the frame. From there, I cut down the rear fenders and glued in the brackets.  Everything above the frame is just loosely mocked up for now, including the fenders. The stance is set, and I'm happy with it. I also swapped in a Cummins from a Western Star Constellation kit, and tossed the Detroit. It's been a while since I've built an Italeri kit, and I must say it's like a vacation. AMT kits, and resin can be quite exhausting. Italeri kits, sans their mistakes, kind of fall into place. 

Thanks guys. There will be some scratchbuilt parts to update the mix unit. Its a little out of date(and underdetailed) for a truck this new. Im back and forth on whether to make this fancy like a Peterbilt mixer brochure truck, with metallic paint and chrome rims, or if I should go plain all white with a black frame?

For me, now this is just suggestion. The 378 mixers out here are a bit longer wheelbase. The water tank sits behind the cab, then there's a bit more room. But, all the mixers out here also run the big steerable booster lift axle. Your doin a fine job none the less Terry. Glad to see your gettin a few things done.