Model Cars Magazine Forum

My in progress trucks: Kenworth S2

For me, now this is just suggestion. The 378 mixers out here are a bit longer wheelbase. The water tank sits behind the cab, then there's a bit more room. But, all the mixers out here also run the big steerable booster lift axle. Your doin a fine job none the less Terry. Glad to see your gettin a few things done. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going for the tight wheelbase with the water tank mounted on the driver side frame. The kit water tank mounts are going to be replaced. I like the configuration of the 357 mixers, but don't really want to get into modifying the hood.  The standard 378 mixer chassis looks too long to me. I don't like the empty space between the cab and the drum. I'm hoping to get this one knocked out fairly quickly without to much scratchbuilding, while I'm working on the Autocar and the Pete 359. It was good to get a few trucks finished, and I want to knock out one more before I'm back on the long term projects.

Moving along on the Pete mixer, I ground down all of the weld reinforcements along the drum. I'm going for a modern smooth drum with light weld detail. I also ground off the ribs on the fenders, and spent a few hours sanding each smooth. 

I also made a new uncle spinney dervish on the lathe out of gray PVC rod. I just need to add bolt detail, a tank, and lines.

Great work Terry, cool lathe work on the mixer drive! 

These trucks look much better with the water tank mounted low

Looking forward to the updates

That reminds me...I should post a pic of my recently finished mixer..they seem to be popular right now

Terry,

you have this one looking really good thus far ! I was going to ask where you got the mixer drive. But then read that you turned at the shop. It looks great.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Jeff and Gator. The mixer drive is not 100% accurate. I had no measurements to work from so I scaled one in a photo. It looks good enough to me. I think it was just enough to bring the old Rex into the modern age. I got some more work into tonight. The Cummins is nearly complete, and I logged in more work on the mixer chassis. I should have more pics up tomorrow.

Dayum Terry,

You are certainly not wasting any time on this one ! Which is cool . I like what you have going on here. The whole thing is looking pretty good.

Be Well

Gator

Oh, yeah....That thing is looking pretty nice.....Great work on the drum.....Fender mods look so much better like that.....And that cradle looks great....

Thanks a lot JT. I'm glad you like it. I agree, these fenders can look great with a little trimming. Thanks for the kind words. When are we going to see a new Orange Rig?

I've been trying to decide on a paint scheme for this truck. Since I started on it I was thinking of blending the grill shell into the hood like a 349. Then I found this.

1D707FA8-0886-4695-BEA7-20F419763AF0_zps

I think I found my color scheme. What do you guys think? Red cab/hood, white chassis, red drum, white fenders?

Edited by Superpeterbilt

Thanks guys, that's what I'm gonna go with. Small update: Cab,hood,drum,chassis,and fenders have been puttied and sanded. Revell front tires swapped out with singles from Italeri dump trailer. Rear window gasket roughed in.Grill shell blended into hood. I think these tires on the front look a whole lot better than the Revell car tires. It's getting closer.

E0CEAFFE-1D17-4013-A6AE-DFCA7E81211E_zps

D9210E65-BD27-4739-88C8-3DA38C3E5057_zps

80FD0E3C-5561-41B0-98FC-C5C38B4D7BC9_zps

5FBE8C29-351F-4DD9-AB05-475479ED976B_zps

AE03A8DE-9860-4609-A644-2FFE1AA8A2E8_zps

Edited by Superpeterbilt