Model Cars Magazine Forum

My in progress trucks: Kenworth S2

Terry ,

Some real nice mods to the tridem. I like the fenders. Are they from a mack kit?

Be Well

Gator

Gator, the fenders are from the Italeri container trailer kit. The spread axle tandem configuration is the perfect spread for a tri axle. I believe the same fenders come in the Italeri canvas trailer also. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Parts of the sleeper were wrapped with a sheet of chrome vinyl that I bought from an RC shop. The sleeper top was sanded and blended with the sides, then wrapped with chrome. The upright "corners" of the sleeper were also sanded and wrapped due to where it attatched to the sprue. I have this set aside for a special project. 

Thanks guys. Parts of the sleeper were wrapped with a sheet of chrome vinyl that I bought from an RC shop. The sleeper top was sanded and blended with the sides, then wrapped with chrome. The upright "corners" of the sleeper were also sanded and wrapped due to where it attatched to the sprue. I have this set aside for a special project. 

That come out real nice!!! I thought it was the "factory finish" from AMT. How is the vinyl to work with?

That come out real nice!!! I thought it was the "factory finish" from AMT. How is the vinyl to work with?

90% of it is the factory finish. The chrome was very easy to work with. It stretches over the curves very nicely. I bought two of these sleepers, and now I know how Ill do the 2nd. I have more things to do experiment with on this chrome sleeper, so stay tuned!

Great mods Terry.  Nice solution with the rear windows.

Question:  How do you go about marking the lines for the window cutouts?   Did you just let the cab rest on a flat surface and measure the height and width, like with a caliper or some kind of other sliding type device?  Are the lines from a lead pencil or similar?

The measuring/cutting is such an important step, and it looks like you have a good procedure.  Could you give some insight?

Great mods Terry.  Nice solution with the rear windows.

Question:  How do you go about marking the lines for the window cutouts?   Did you just let the cab rest on a flat surface and measure the height and width, like with a caliper or some kind of other sliding type device?  Are the lines from a lead pencil or similar?

The measuring/cutting is such an important step, and it looks like you have a good procedure.  Could you give some insight?

Michael, the windows are really mostly eyeballed with some loose measurements. I scaled them the best I could from the photogragh of the gold truck above. I use a 6" machinist scale(ruler) that is very thin. I aline it with the cab panels as best I can and mark lines. I use my cailpers to measure everything out and mark it with a lead pencil. I draw the windows square, and then curve the corners using my machinist radius guages. They are little thin steel pieces that have a positive and negative(concave and convex)radius on each end used for measuring radiuses on machined parts. They come in handy because they can be traced and make perfect even curves at each corner. Then, using a pin vise I drill relief holes all around the window. Then, using my sprue cutters, I cut out the window using the holes that I drilled and most of the plastic is out of the way. Then, using a series of small files I file the plastic back to my drawn lines.Lastly, I curve in styrene strip inside the cut edge to replicate the window gasket. 

Heres an example of the syrene strip gasket replacement on a Peterbilt cab. The windsheild looks a little too big out of the box, and the gasket is not very pronounced. I didnt change the size or shape of the window, just made it smaller using a gasket. After this pic was taken, the gasket was filed down closer to the cab and rounded over to resemble the rubber. This is the same cab your using on your build.

I hope that helps.