Model Cars Magazine Forum

My in progress trucks: Kenworth S2

Tonight I tackled the under structure of the hood. I started by folding a piece of paper inside the hood to trace the shape.

Then I cut that out.

Then I drew in the understructure as best I could from photos, with no real measurements. 

Then transferred to styrene sheet

Then cut out and glued into the hood

Thanks Charles and Dennis. I appreciate the feedback. Dennis, I agree that most of the time I myself overlook this detail. It does open a can of worms though, because why stop there? There are ribs and reinforcements inside the cab as well, but it has to have a limit somewhere. Being that this is an Italeri kit, with a good cab-to-hood fit, I decided not to glue the hood shut. So since it's open, let's make it look better!

Terry,

I like your mods to the hood. Looks real good.

And I also agree that that kind of detail can become overwhelming. But I will try to do open like you did.

What thickness plastic did you use?

Be Well

Gator

Gator, that's two layers of .020 styrene. It's easier to bend thinner pieces, and layer it. Other hoods are easier to do with strips, but because of the shape of this understructure the sheet was better. It makes more waste, but it'll get used on somethin'.

Love the 60 chev ! Would you like 2 ton grill to go into it?  I made a mold of my master and make resins if it will help you get back on this truck I will send you one no charge!

IMG_20151017_204448_hdr.jpg

Absoutely! I still have many parts to collect for that build, but I've been slowly working on the cab. I'll PM you my address. Thanks man!

There was a post about 378/357 mixers not being seen without Boost-a-load type rear axles.   Here's one (one of several) I spotted last week in Texas.

This one is a 357-111 (357 was usually spec'd for mixer/dump duties - 357 and 378 share the 119" sf and sb hoods)

Tim

DSC_0354 edit.jpg

There was a post about 378/357 mixers not being seen without Boost-a-load type rear axles.   Here's one (one of several) I spotted last week in Texas.

This one is a 357-111 (357 was usually spec'd for mixer/dump duties - 357 and 378 share the 119" sf and sb hoods)

Tim

DSC_0354 edit.jpg

Hey Thanks Tim. I didnt realize the 357 had a 119" hood. Ive only seen the shorter hood with the slim grill shell like the one in the photo. Ill change my model designation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing color on this...are you planning on weatherizing it, Terry?  I compliment your sense of scale, your builds just look "right". I can see a lot of your trucks rumbling down the street if I close my eyes and think of it.

Thanks for the compliment. I dont think this one will have any weathering, unless I mess something up! This will be a fresh picked from the dealership rig.