Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Peterbilt 359 California Hauler Wrecker

I just completed this AMT Peterbilt Wrecker using the recently reissued California Hauler kit combined with an AMT/Ertl Wrecker kit. I was hoping to represent it in its original incarnation reflecting the first issue box art. This is my first official truck build since I was a kid and under the tutelage of fellow Jersey Shore Model Car Club member Mike Capasso saw it to completion in time for our club's Heavy Commercial Contest Night last Friday. It is finished in overall Tamiya Coral Blue with Tamiya Pure White and Orange accents. I took a few liberties but on the whole tried to remain faithful to the original kit. Hope you all like it.

PeteWrecker_A_zpsimudeyib.jpg

PeteWrecker_B_zps2uxpx6ij.jpg

PeteWrecker_C_zpsqxwcm4uk.jpg

PeteWrecker_D_zpsflq9gner.jpg

PeteWrecker_E_zpseexuz6mv.jpg

PeteWrecker_F_zpsupzsayik.jpg

PeteWrecker_G_zps0vg9vt1f.jpg

Original Box Art

boxart1_zps5ir7pwsj.jpg

Tory

Superb wrecker - also the rear looks better than on the box-art.

Did you take tank and battery box from Revell's snapkit?

Thanks Helmut, yes the tank and battery box are from the Revell snap kit. I thought it needed a little "bling"!

And thank you all for the kind words on my model, I am delighted it found favor here!

Here are a few Chassis shots showing the weathering below. I wanted it to have a used but not abused look, a clean work but not a show truck sort of thing.

Chassis_A_zpsxyf8iwhy.jpg

Chassis_B_zps4rdjz53w.jpg

Chassis_D_zpsm4wszgtm.jpg

Chassis_C_zps7kxppnx5.jpg

Chassis_E_zps74cyjuod.jpg

Chassis_F_zps1d3mhzqr.jpg

Tory

I noticed as soon as I saw this model.....The battery box and fuel tank was a good swap.....Also narrowing of the tow body has worked well, too.....Amazing how changes as minor as these change the look of the entire model.....This looks so much better than the original.....A beautiful piece of work.....Just beautiful....

Edited by kilrathy10