Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Chrysler 300 Chassis Detail Pictures

I found no exact Chrysler chassis images in a Google image Search, but this page does show some basic details of the '56 Plymouth chassis, which followed pretty much the same practices as used on the larger Chrysler. The brake lines appear to be mostly hidden within the boxed frame side-rails, down the left side of the frame to the rear, with a flexible line exiting the frame rail on the inner side of the left frame rail at the highest part of the frame "kick up" over the rear axle. This flexible hose goes to a fitting on a steel line, atop the left side axle housing, with those steel lines exending along the axle housing to the left and right brake drums.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%221956+Plymouth+chassis%22&lr=&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7kORVYDxLsTSsAX24IHQCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=599#imgrc=_

Up front, the flexible brake lines appear to exit the frame rails immediately across from the front brake backing plates (there is a decent image on this page of the '56 Plymouth setup, again which probably is very close to what was used on Chryslers, DeSoto's, even the Chrysler Imperials of 1966-56). I found no images of the emergency brake cable, but there was only one, as Chrysler Corporation's tradition, for better than 30 years, was to use a single emergency brake drum, mounted at the rear end of the transmission housing (it's there, on the Hemi engine in the '55-56 Chrysler kits BTW), connected by an armored steel cable to the emergency brake handle which is at the bottom of the left end of the dashboard, and more than likely exited through the firwall on the left side, with a gentle, sweeping curve back to that brake drum.

I would also suspect that the fuel line, from tank to fuel pump (that's on the lower right front of the engine block) follows the inner side of the right hand frame rail, from tank to the front of the floorboard, where it would have to have had a flexible line attached to all for the slight rotational movement of the engine under acelleration and deceleration (remember, Chrysler Corporation introduced the concept of flexible engine mounting--they called that, back in the early 30's "Floating Power"). As for connecting the line to the fuel pump, I would think that was pretty much the same for most all diaphragm type fuel pumps back in the day.

Art