Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trabant Universal Lieferwagen

GeeBee

On 8/7/2019 at 10:09 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Good to know.  so there won't be any panel line, just the indent.  I will modify mine to match.  You do know about the spare tire, right?

04-06 IN-0012-Fin-10-Reserverad-30

The wheel didn't have enough room between the wheel arch and roof to get it in like that, the wheel arch in the kit is totally different to this photo, probably because I was using the Universal, if I was to do it all over again  I would scratch build some different wheel arches,  I came up with something very close.

20190906_140917.jpg

4 hours ago, GeeBee said:

The wheel didn't have enough room between the wheel arch and roof to get it in like that, the wheel arch in the kit is totally different to this photo, probably because I was using the Universal, if I was to do it all over again  I would scratch build some different wheel arches,  I came up with something very close.

20190906_140917.jpg

Very nice!  I believe I left off the bottom bracket on mine because of size constraints too! 

Front windshield fitted, just a few parts to get airbrushed, which I'll get time to do tomorrow, then there's just a few more parts to fit than this little Trabbi is finished, it's been on and off the backburner since June 2015, I'm hoping to get it finished by the weekend. 

20190910_135659.jpg

20190910_135710.jpg

20190910_135739.jpg

20190910_135928.jpg

Carrying on with the smaller details, rear reflectors airbrushed using Tamiya clear red and fixed in place using some 10 minute epoxy ,rear C pillar air vents airbrushed using Tamiya Silver leaf and a black wash added to bring out the details, tow bar fitted,with the cap picked out using Tamiya red enamel.

20190912_185129.jpg

20190912_185146.jpg

20190912_185611.jpg

24 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

At my club meeting yesterday a friend sold me another Universal kit, that he wasn’t going to build!  So beware!

I've still got 5 Universal kits in the stash and one Saloon, I'm running out of ideas for them, I've also got a 601s Deluxe on the go, two tone paintwork and chrome bumpers), I still need to order the paint from Germany.

One down, just the other side to do,plus two wiper arms and door mirrors to fit,plus a few decals and this little Trabbi can go into the display cabinet, a few spots of slow setting epoxy on the bottom corners and two spots of UV resin in the top corners, what I like about the UV resin is that it dries crystal clear once it's set

20190916_123923.jpg

20190916_123931.jpg

Geoff- is your rear hatch operational?  I think I see the same issue I have with mine... bottom part of the right hinge is short?  

Adding info- I just opened the kit I got Saturday and it's that same way. Obviously an issue with this kit!

Edited by Tom Geiger

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Geoff- is your rear hatch operational?  I think I see the same issue I have with mine... bottom part of the right hinge is short?  

Adding info- I just opened the kit I got Saturday and it's that same way. Obviously an issue with this kit!

No it's fixed in the closed position, it's not really meant to be operational Tom, there's a choice of either having it displayed with the tailgate closed or in the raised position by using different gas strut supports, both are supplied in the kit, the one slightly broken hinge bracket i did when I was wet sanding the body.

Superb! I saw one of these in the flesh in Bournemouth last year at a custom car club meet in the town centre one Sunday, lowered on air suspension, big wheels etc. looked crazy. Don't forget to put a matte black tip in the exhaust.