Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Stocker Mustang Trans-Kit

afx

I've started a project recreating the MPC Super Stocker Mustang using MPC's '69 in lieu of the original kit's '70 body style. My intention was for this to be a personal project. Just curious if anyone might be interested in a resin trans-kit.

I have spoken to a resin caster and he appears interested in the project. I don't know what the cost would be it would be considerably less than trying to buy an original kit. The trans-kit would include the body, hood. bumpers and windshield.

All the kits in the Super Stocker series use the same chassis and engine. Therefore a Model King reissue would be the donor kit.

Please let me know if you would be interested.

DSCN2757-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in the chassis set-up. The body is pretty easy to get. I enjoy these kind of builds

Round2 reissued some of the cars in this series not long ago. All versions of the kit share the same chassis so that would that would be the base kit source.

From what I understand the Stocker Mustang molds are lost/damaged/modifed so it is very unlikely the Mustang will ever be issued again.

Have you posted over at Randy Ayer's NASCAR site? There might be considerable more interest over there, NASCARs don't seem to be big on this board. (Not a criticism, just an observation)

Yea I just posted it over there and I agree very little NASCAR interest on this forum.

Same Chassis as the Petty Dart?

Haven' tried it yet with the Petty Kit Car.  It is based on the Original MPC Super Stocker.  You can use the recently reissued Model King releases.

model-king-monte-carlo-super-stocker.jpgAMT_21464.jpg

The Petty kit car isn't based on the Super Stock Series kits, the kits in that series are the Mustang, a 69 Camaro, a 70 Monte Carlo, a late 60s GTO, and a Plymouth 'Cuda, these are the only ones I've seen there may be another one or two that I don't know about.

Same Chassis as the Petty Dart?

Haven' tried it yet with the Petty Kit Car.  It is based on the Original MPC Super Stocker.  You can use the recently reissued Model King releases.

model-king-monte-carlo-super-stocker.jpgAMT_21464.jpg

The Petty kit car isn't based on the Super Stock Series kits, the kits in that series are the Mustang, a 69 Camaro, a 70 Monte Carlo, a late 60s GTO, and a Plymouth 'Cuda, these are the only ones I've seen there may be another one or two that I don't know about.

The Petty Kit car chassis could be used as it's a short track style chassis. However since it was manufactured by Chrysler it would be very unlikely that anyone would hang a Mustang body on it. Here are the other cars in the Super Stocker series.  To the best of my knowledge these kits have never been re-issued.

BarracudaSuperStocker12755-238x162.jpg100_1009.jpgMustang_SuperStocker12753a-241x164.jpg

This may not be totally correct but I built this from an old super stock style chassis and some leftover bits and pieces .

C47.jpg

C46.jpg

Very nice build Bruce.

Edited by afx

I like the Shelby version, it makes it look like it's been sectioned. 

You're right, none of the ones you show have been reissued, the only ones reissued were the early Monte Carlo, and the GTO, you think that they would have picked one of them that was more popular than the GTO, I kinda like the MPC modifieds for short track racers too, they're based on the '55-'57 Chevrolet chassis, and we built quite a few Chevelle, and Camaro race cars on those chassis in the seventies.

Edited by horsepower
whoops booby

I bet if someone were to make a transkit for a Barracuda, or a Challenger (early preferably) there might be some real interest. 

Especially if you built the Challenger to fit the Petty or Cushman Chrysler Kit cars. There is an article floating around from the old Stock Car Racing Magazine that had some young kid at the time with the name of Earnhardt driving one of the Challenger test mules on dirt, and yes he did succeed in putting a couple of crinkles in the body before he was done, and he was the only car on the track, go figure. And DW said Kyle Bush was the only driver he knew that could go three wide when he was the only driver on the track.

Edited by horsepower

I noticed the reissued ERTL '74 Barracuda is a former Super Stocker as the wheel wells are still a bit funky. Did MPC modify any other annual kits?

Sorry Bob I am not all that well versed in kit history.  The (6) kits shown make up all the Super Stocker series offering to the best of my knowledge.

The MPC Super Stocker series consisted of the Dick Trickle Mustang, the Jegs Camaro, the Bob Larrivee Chevelle & a fictional GTO, fictional Cuda, & a fictional Monte Carlo.

All but the Monte Carlo used a modified version of an annual kit body, with one partial exception to be seen. The Monte Carlo used the body tooled up for the Coo Coo Marlin #14 NASCAR Monte Carlo tooled up by MPC, as MPC never did a Monte Carlo as an annual kit at that time. The GTO is also only partially part of the MPC annual series, because in 1970, apparently they got a huge promo order for GTOs from Pontiac, & thus tooled up two different bodies. One went on to be the basis for the GTO annual kits from 1970-1972 & the other wound up as the body for the David Pearson driven NASCAR GTO he ran in a few races in 1971. That body then wound up as part of the Super Stocker series.

Other than the Monte Carlo & the GTO, the bodies for all the rest were later retooled back to stock, & have been reissued in that form many times over the past thirty or so years. That's why when the Model King reissues were done, the GTO & the Monte Carlo were the only two that could be reissued.

The chassis used in the kits are very close to what Ed Howe & Ray Dillon were producing for short track racing in the 70s, & thus were indeed able to be put together with differing wheelbases for use under different bodies, so those kit chassis are highly accurate for both the cars & the era. What isn't accurate, at least for the Mustang, Cuda & GTO is the big block Chevy engine used in all the kits.

Here's a link to some Howe Racing Enterprises catalog pages from back in the day so you can see just how close MPC got the chassis on these cars:

http://public.fotki.com/RodM/canadian_short_trac/howe_racing_enterprises/

Edited by Bob Turner2

The MPC Super Stocker series consisted of the Dick Trickle Mustang, the Jegs Camaro, the Bob Larrivee Chevelle & a fictional GTO, fictional Cuda, & a fictional Monte Carlo.

All but the Monte Carlo used a modified version of an annual kit body, with one partial exception to be seen. The Monte Carlo used the body tooled up for the Coo Coo Marlin #14 NASCAR Monte Carlo tooled up by MPC, as MPC never did a Monte Carlo as an annual kit at that time. The GTO is also only partially part of the MPC annual series, because in 1970, apparently they got a huge promo order for GTOs from Pontiac, & thus tooled up two different bodies. One went on to be the basis for the GTO annual kits from 1970-1972 & the other wound up as the body for the David Pearson driven NASCAR GTO he ran in a few races in 1971. That body then wound up as part of the Super Stocker series.

Other than the Monte Carlo & the GTO, the bodies for all the rest were later retooled back to stock, & have been reissued in that form many times over the past thirty or so years. That's why when the Model King reissues were done, the GTO & the Monte Carlo were the only two that could be reissued.

The chassis used in the kits are very close to what Ed Howe & Ray Dillon were producing for short track racing in the 70s, & thus were indeed able to be put together with differing wheelbases for use under different bodies, so those kit chassis are highly accurate for both the cars & the era. What isn't accurate, at least for the Mustang, Cuda & GTO is the big block Chevy engine used in all the kits.

Here's a link to some Howe Racing Enterprises catalog pages from back in the day so you can see just how close MPC got the chassis on these cars:

http://public.fotki.com/RodM/canadian_short_trac/howe_racing_enterprises/

Excellent information Bob. Thank you posting it and the link to the reference photos.

• 4 years later...