Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOP NOTCH!!! I've had two of these trucks (well 69s) and you've captured this one perfectly. The weathering is amazingly accurate!!! The only thing missing (from my old trucks) is the rusted out rocker panels. The camper shell just completes the look. GREAT WORK!!!!

Thanks guys.  Being a So. Cal. truck the salty beach air (and the sun) did more damage than anything.  All the time I had it we lived less than 5 miles from the ocean.  It's not like one from an area that was exposed to salted roads.  It did rust through the edges of the interior floor in front of the doors, (that's what floor mats are for...), but surprisingly not the fenders.

The interior is mostly done; still a few decals and details to add.

The seat had several Pep Boys cheapo seat covers installed on it.  Where the foam padding wore out, I stuffed it with old towels.  They were varying styles of southwestern patterns, whatever was in stock at the time.  When one wore out, I’d put another on top of the others.  It was a work truck and I spilled things while eating and driving.  Plus the dog hair, oil, dust and whatever he tracked in.

The dash pad saw a lot of sun; it cracked and peeled something fierce.   The gauge and radio decals came from an IPMS Convention sheet I did in 2007. 

The steering wheel came from my Vega, still need to make the GT horn button…  The Hurst T-Handle came from the same Vega.

The driver’s door sill had the paint worn through from a left arm resting on it and it kept rusting.

The floor mats were cut from photo paper; the real ones were just basic rubber mats, big enough to cover most of the rust holes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Riley.

I mounted the cab to the chassis and added some wires and hoses to the engine.  The windshield was treated to some delamination crustiness around the edges and the antenna was made and installed.  There’s a folding sun shield on the dash too, not that I used much, after all, the dash was trashed.

DSC05774_zpsxwnpsrzr.jpg

DSC05773_zpsjidkbnrc.jpg

Edited by Scale-Master

Shots of the back of the cab where there was still a little white paint left.  The slider window is scratch-built too.

I’m not worried about the slots on top of the bed rails, the camper shell is a permanent part once it’s finished.

Time to button this one up.  After all, it has been under construction (and stagnant) for over thirty years.