Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harley Davidson Electra Glide 1/8 Revell H-1224

Junkman

001.jpg

Although the kit dates back to 1969, this is the 1981 reissue. The box art is the same. The kit was reissued again somewhen in the 90s by the AG, with a photo

of a built blue model on the box and it was moulded in blue.

You get oodles of chrome:

002.jpg

003.jpg

Some red (sigh) and clear plastic:

004.jpg

005.jpg

Tyres and way too thick piping:

006.jpg

Somebody else's opinion:

007.jpg

And a decal sheet I didn't even bother to photograph. It's the size of a stamp and all you get is two badly printed HD emblems,

two badly printed EG scripts in silver and a badly printed speedometer face. That's it.

Although the tooling clearly shows its age, I bet a very nice model can be made from this kit.

You can still get them cheaply (as I just proved), but once they make it onto the radar of the mainstream collectors, prices will skyrocket.

My tip is to buy one soon. The longer you wait, the more $$$$$s you'll have to shell out.

Unless Revell wakes up to the resurgence of the 1/8 bike kits from Heller and MPC, that is.

What did I just write? Revell and wakes up in one sentence? Nah, not Revell. And even if they did, they'll charge 50 Dollars for the reissue.

I've built a couple of the CHP versions of this kit.

The side stand can be problematic as it is close to scale thus too weak for the weight of the completed kit. The same holds true with the kit tires. They WILL collapse under the weight of the model. I have never tried the substitution of other tires. I have used foam inserts with so so results.

The darn thing looks great when finished though!

G

Unless Revell wakes up to the resurgence of the 1/8 bike kits from Heller and MPC, that is.

What did I just write? Revell and wakes up in one sentence? Nah, not Revell. And even if they did, they'll charge 50 Dollars for the reissue.

Model companies re-issueing old kits of a certain type is not a "resurgence". If they sell well and more get re-issued because of that, that's a "resurgence". Only time will tell, but by all means, continue the Revell-Bashing.

The recent Heller 1/8 motorcycle reissues are flying off the shelves and will be followed up by already announced further reissues. I call this a resurgence.

So will be the MPC reissues, wanna bet? So would be the Revell ones, alas, Revell.

Nice little review. I'd agree with the resurgence of big scale bike kits,I'm very much looking forward to the MPC reissues and hoping that maybe we can get a new tool of another vintage Honda or any good bike that could be "Cafed". I for one would welcome a Triton with open arms, or maybe a vintage Ducati. I'm just dreaming now,time to get back to reality. -_-

Give me an Indian Scout 101. A Brough Superior. An Ariel Square Four. A Moto Guzzi Falcone. A BMW R69S.

However, I'd already be over the moon if Revell would follow the lead of Heller and MPC. But alas.

triumphdrag-vi.jpg

Revell%20H1237-500%20Hogvg-.JPG

e129bfcd4249c2bbfaa17384ea88f6d5.jpg

corvairtrike-vi.jpg

The recent Heller 1/8 motorcycle reissues are flying off the shelves and will be followed up by already announced further reissues. I call this a resurgence.

So will be the MPC reissues, wanna bet? So would be the Revell ones, alas, Revell.

Flying off the shelves where? Not in the US. Heller doesn't have a distributor here. My understanding is that cycles have never sold well for either Reve/US or Germany. By "well", I mean in reasonable numbers to the casual builder and general consumer, not just the hard-core hobbyists who are mostly responsible for the flying kits.

I'm all for variety in kit reissues, but companies like Revell have to look at the big picture. No sleeping involved.

• 7 months later...

Building my first motorcycle. MPC's recently reissued Honda 750. Has got me looking at other motorcycle kits. Revell's Harley Electra-Glide is one I'd really love to add to my collection. I hope Revell will consider reissuing it in the near future. But, in the threads here on the Honda, I don't see a lot of interest in bike kit in general. Is the Honda (750 or Trail 70) selling? And should Revell consider reissuing any of theirs?