Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the Speedwagon

Revell announced that they are re-releasing the Speedwagon this month. Of all the Revell Deuce kits, the Speedwagon seems to be the easiest one to find at swap meets and I have already built and modified a couple. I would really like to see the Roadster back in its original form or even the Rat Roaster as a modified re-issue with smooth hood, full fenders, bench seat interior up-top and maybe a couple of multiple carb and exhaust manifold options for the SBC. Now that would be a big seller.

speedwagon-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Phildaupho

There is a great flathead in the Deuce Sedan, a first gen Hemi in the 5W and small block Fords in them all except the Rat Roaster with a SBC.

They seems to be used mostly for parts. I would like to see the roadster back but with a flattie as an option. No SBC enough already.

Revell announced that they are re-releasing the Speedwagon this month. Of all the Revell Deuce kits, the Speedwagon seems to be the easiest one to find at swap meets and I have already built and modified a couple. I would really like to see the Roadster back in its original form or even the Rat Roaster as a modified re-issue with smooth hood, full fenders, bench seat interior up-top and maybe a couple of multiple carb and exhaust manifold options for the SBC. Now that would be a big seller.

Totally agree. But-Revell logic :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that Revell is looking at ways to get more mileage out of the Rat Roaster '32 with a revamp.

Speedwagon was an early variation (I want to say right after the original roadster). I predates the Rat Roaster by quite a few years.

A really cool model with a lot of cool parts in it.

I also believe this was the second release of the '32 Fords, right before the roadster. I consider the rat roastered a completely separate model from the roadster and not a reissue. Every single part on it, with the exception of the suspension is a new tooling.

They are coming out with the '29 now some suspension parts that I am sure will find their way into more '32 reissues or hopefully new kits. I wouldn't mind (and it wouldn't surprise me) if they come up with a Phaeton, a Vicky and a B400. The Phaeton can use most of the interior from the Tudor and would need just a new body. The vicky and B400 can use the interior from the Speed Wagon and just need new bodies. And if they introduce little new details in each new release, they will definitely sell. A new motor here, a quick change there……We may even live to see a Deuce with a decent independent suspension. :o

Don is exactly correct.

The Three Window came first (early fall, 1996?), followed by the Speedwagon (late fall, 1996) and the Roadster (early 1997).

All three versions were tooled at the same time and the tooling was completed by summer, 1996.

Cheers....TIm

I would like to see the roadster re issued. Wasn't interested at the time; my tastes have changed. Plus, I believe the wheel tire combo is one of the best representations of street rod 'big n littles' out there. Wish that Revell would do tire packs like AMT, think they would sell very well......'Z'

Don is exactly correct.

The Three Window came first (early fall, 1996?), followed by the Speedwagon (late fall, 1996) and the Roadster (early 1997).

All three versions were tooled at the same time and the tooling was completed by summer, 1996.

Cheers....TIm

I am corrected! No prob! All I really remember is the roadster was the first one that I built.

DEUCE02-vi.jpg

speedwagon-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Headlight lenses are on upside down, :P Kinda neat to see one built up with the stock headlights tho. Real one has the smaller ones.

Headlight lenses are on upside down, :P Kinda neat to see one built up with the stock headlights tho. Real one has the smaller ones.

The real one also has a roof rack, a different shape of the wood work at the back and numerous other differences. I still think it is a great kit. I've built a few of them in different variations and still have three more on my "started, but will they be ever finished" list.

I got a half dozen of these when Revell dumped them at Toy Liquidator stores for five bucks each when the sales didn't come up to expectations the first time around.

Found out that the interior out of this fits the sedan if you want to make a contemporary rod, or use the AMT bodies and you can build a sectioned custom version, still playing around with the one I started using the phantom Vicky lower body, and the original AMT Vicky top to make a full fendered street rod, half way through I decided to use a half breed chassis of the two deuce frames and got sidetracked and set it aside for something else. Guess that's why I have so many different half done builds, I get off course so easy.

The real one also has a roof rack, a different shape of the wood work at the back and numerous other differences. I still think it is a great kit. I've built a few of them in different variations and still have three more on my "started, but will they be ever finished" list.

Actually there is no woodwork on this car at all. The body is all metal, painted to look like wood.

I believe it was Street Rodder Magazine that did a photo tour of Dan Finks shop during a build up of one these. Just like a family car there were options you could have, or leave off, so it's entirely possible that the one Revell used to make this kit from was just as the model appears, no roof rack and a slightly fancier rear door. And yes, they're definitely wood framed from the cowling back.

Street Rodder Magazine did a full coverage of the build of the full scale Speed Wagon over many issues and several years. This car is a 1 of 1 and was Dan Fink's personal project. He didn't do a production run. It was then sold and Dan started his next project, a very well done '32 3-Window Coupe. The coupe project was also fully covered in Street Rodder and partially sponsored by Ford Motorsport / SVO (name changed to Ford Racing in 2000) and featured one of their crate engines with their then-new GT40X aluminum cylinder heads.