Model Cars Magazine Forum

scratch building?

I have been doing a lot of scratch building lately but have been leaning heavy on body fill to do so. I've seen a lot about evergreen styrene products and simular products and see where they would work a million times better for many of my uses, but i know nothing about them. I am looking on amazon for them (none of my local hobby shops carry it) and i see most packages are rated by sizes, I have looked at size charts and I'm lost on it all. I'm hoping I can get some good advice on what i should get for just starting out, what sizes, shapes ect.

The type of building I'm currently doing and hope to do soon is as follows.

Filling in gaps (hoods not lining up on poor molds, body panels, filing in the gap left from citing out for panels.)

Creating new fenders/body panels

Custom frames

Roll bars

These kind of things. I understand everyone has personal preferences on these type of things and I'll need to find mine but if I can get some guidance on where to start. I'm looking at about a 20$ initial investment and again I would be making my purchase online amazon is what i know and am comfortable with but not the only option.

Thank you in advance.

"Please forgive my poor wording I have been up for almost 48 hours now. "

Well, if you have a local hobby shop, going there to actually see the stuff in person helps with sizing. Get some standard-sized tubing or rod, stuff you could use for hoses, filler gaps, that kind of thing. If you're making, say, a utility body for a truck, some bracing in the form of angle-iron stock would help with structural integrity, as well as plain square rod.