Model Cars Magazine Forum

WalMart primer talked about, can anyone post a picture of the can?

I went to a couple of WalMarts the last few days looking for this.

They have 2 cheap paint brands, one is $0.99 a can and they only (at least around here) have it in black and white.

The other one is about $1.69 a can and they have several colors, including a grey primer.

I just don't want to buy the second one if that is not the proper one. I'll just buy a more expensive known brand if that isn't it. But being cheap is a good thing if I can do it since I am not really working.

Thanks,

Russ

The one everyone has been talking about is the $.99 one. I got both black and white. I was really looking for a geed flat black and this stuff goes on very smooth .... it really impressed me. The white I just used as a primer on a Mini I'm working on. I just posted photos of the body in primer, but they weren't mean to showcase the primer. It went on very smooth and even and I'm not going to sand it at all before I apply the topcoat.

I like these flat paints better than any I've tried .. and I have tried most. What a bargain!

Note to self, remember to click on the Post button before clicking on a link posted.

Oh, I was confused then. Thought that there was an actual "primer grey" with this.

Not a problem, I'll buy both and give the white a shot as the primer.

Thanks!

Russ

I'm going to disagree with Foxer. Wal-Mart sells (or maybe sold) paints under the name "ColorPlace" that were about 96 cents a can and the color range was limited it included a very nice gray primer that goes on in very light smooth coats. I use it for everything except bodies because I like Tamiya's primer better for that purpose. Those cans have a label that is mostly blue with five little overlapping circles of different colors, presumably showing the various possible applications of the paint, in a design that can only be called retro. There seems to have been a change to a new line of paints called "HomeShades" with an updated label design that is mostly white. These paints are a little more expensive, at least locally, but seem to be the same paints in the same color range. This new type also has a gray primer, a can of which I'm looking at as I type this. I can't discern any difference between the two gray primers and I'm assuming it is just a matter of repackaging an old product line.

There seems to have been a change to a new line of paints called "HomeShades" with an updated label design that is mostly white. These paints are a little more expensive, at least locally, but seem to be the same paints in the same color range. This new type also has a gray primer, a can of which I'm looking at as I type this. I can't discern any difference between the two gray primers and I'm assuming it is just a matter of repackaging an old product line.

The HomeShades seems to be EXACTLY the same stuff as the Color Place. The UPC code and SKU number are identical. It smells the same, looks the same, and goes on the same as the old stuff. I know, I got a can a few weeks ago and ran the tests. I'll be using it on projects in the very near future, and I have no worries about it at all. If anything changes, I'll post here immediately, I assure you.

This stuff is primer only in name. None of of it is a proper primer. This becomes evident when sanding. It does not sand and feather edge like a true primer like Plastikote,Duplicolor or Tamiya. It's really just gray paint.

This stuff is primer only in name. None of of it is a proper primer. This becomes evident when sanding. It does not sand and feather edge like a true primer like Plastikote,Duplicolor or Tamiya. It's really just gray paint.

Huh. I haven't experienced that problem yet.

Here's what I should have done to start with .. do what Russ asked and post a photo. I bought these at Wallmart about 2 months ago and paid $.99 each. These were the only colors there at the time for that price. There was another line there at less than 2 bucks a can with more colors, but I wanted just the .99 cent ones as these had been recommended here as good flat paints .. white and black. hey completely lived up to that recommendation!

walmart%20paint%20DSC_1665_zpsizln4u4c.j

As far as using as primer, I did try the white (on a white plastic body) so I can't really comment on how well it does work as primer.

Edited by Foxer

I'd spend the $3.99 for Dupli-color primers and sealers and skip the WM stuff.

I think it's as good or better than the tiny $8 can of Tamiya.

Dupli-color has never failed me.

I like the Duplicolor and Plasticote if I'm looking for a little "build" and know I'll have to do some sanding. I like the Walmart stuff when I know I can get away with a thin, smooth coat of primer, which in my case is usually.

I like the Duplicolor and Plasticote if I'm looking for a little "build" and know I'll have to do some sanding. I like the Walmart stuff when I know I can get away with a thin, smooth coat of primer, which in my case is usually.

Have you used the Dupli-color SEALER?? It is not the same as the Primer. Both can be bought in gray......the sealer to me is like a scale primer. I keep Dupli-color primers on hand too in all the colors they offer. But I use more 'sealer' than anything.

I can get the Dupli-color at our Magic Mart cheap....and I don't like change....so when something works...I just tend to stay with it. Whatever works for each is good!

Have you used the Dupli-color SEALER?? It is not the same as the Primer. Both can be bought in gray......the sealer to me is like a scale primer. I keep Dupli-color primers on hand too in all the colors they offer. But I use more 'sealer' than anything.

I can get the Dupli-color at our Magic Mart cheap....and I don't like change....so when something works...I just tend to stay with it. Whatever works for each is good!

Dave, sealer is supposed to be used over primer, and it is for reducing the chance of color bleed-thru. You don't use it instead of a primer, do you?

Dave, sealer is supposed to be used over primer, and it is for reducing the chance of color bleed-thru. You don't use it instead of a primer, do you?

For me it works like Tamiya gray primer. So yes......I use it as a primer.....and the sealer part is bonus. I have built 100's of models using it. I also use it for all my model train projects.......used maybe 30 cans over the years.......love it.

I've never used any "sealer" product of any kind, nor have ever felt any need to. But, as you say, for each of us, whatever works. B)

Called a 'sealer' on the can.......it looks and acts exactly like Tamiya gray primer....and at $3.99 a giant can....works for me!

For me it works like Tamiya gray primer. So yes......I use it as a primer.....and the sealer part is bonus. I have built 100's of models using it. I also use it for all my model train projects.......used maybe 30 cans over the years.......love it.

Does the sealer do as good a job in revealing areas that still need to be worked on? (as in invisible parting lines)