Model Cars Magazine Forum

toyota mr-s: wheels and stance

jbwelda

primered body on lowered chassis, XS wheels and brakes. it will sit this low as the chassis is all done, wheels mounted, and body engaged with chassis:

mrsfrontdownlowui4.jpg

base coat testors daytona yellow lacquer on, followed by ill advised attempt at fogging with testors grabber orange. will have to

polish the orange down into yellow on the front, then i think i will mask along the swoop character line on the sides and up onto the trunk and paint that orange over the yellow on it right now. then im planning a thin pearl coat followed by a couple coats of clear to polish on:

mrsbodyxw2.jpg

interior bucket with seats, dash is done but not shown, seat belts are in progress, etc.

mrsinteriorbucketfu9.jpg

hope to have this one done in a couple weeks now that the incredible heat has abated!

i dont have the box in front of me but i believe its a fujimi kit, a special edition of some sort, curbside of course. pretty simple but nice details nonetheless. only concern i have is its scale, it looks larger than 1/24 to me but ive not yet measured my neighbor's 1:1 to confirm that.

its a bitchin little ride, i have to admit i stole the color scheme of the body, interior and wheels from an article on a porsche carrera that was recently featured in another magazine. i like this cars looks better than the carrera though...i realize some will question my sanity based on that remark.

im hoping to get the paint straightened out this weekend even if i have to reshoot the yellow on the front, will post some updated pics after that is completed.

Looks pretty cool so far, especially w/the rake; I think Fujimi scaled it correctly. Fujimi almost went OOB; the MR-S was the first newly-tooled kit from them in a long time when it came out. Now they're on quite a roll, and getting better all the time. Neat cars, but only have two small glovebox-sized compartments behind the seats as storage, zero trunk space. A Miata is much more practical (the small trunk holds more than you would expect), perhaps that's one reason Toyota quit selling the MR-S (MR2 in the US).

Here's a shot of mine; I used a diecast Audi TT's LHD dash:

Dscn3080-vi.jpg

The do look good in yellow :wink:

I have the Veilside MR-S to build, it's a widebody that resembles a Carrera GT.

isnt the whole front end a trunk? the motor is amidships isnt it?

anyhow its a model so i will rarely need to use a trunk.

:D

note that i blended the front and rear clips to the body to eliminate the panel lines there.

im also planning on using the hardtop and cutting some half-open windows for the sides.

i like japan spec cars so i kept the right hand drive...

isnt the whole front end a trunk? the motor is amidships isnt it?

anyhow its a model so i will rarely need to use a trunk.

:D

No trunk space fore or aft for whatever reason :roll: I know as I looked at one at the auto show. Plenty fore/aft trunk space in a Boxster (same layout), but not in this.

Toyotas aren't as perfect as some would lead you to believe :wink:

But you're right, who cares when you're having fun building a model? I think the MR-S is a neat car; wouldn't own one but the models sure are cool 8)

heres a bit of an update, removed the fogging in the front and reshot it yellow, havent shot the second color yet. trial fit of chassis, interior and body:

bodyandinteriortq8.th.jpg

heres a shot from top front and low rear respectively:

nicefrontrightbodyinteriorchassislh3.th.jpg

rearleftdownlowop4.th.jpg

and a glimpse of the surgery necessary to get the clearance in the front.

those used to be full wheel arches. and note how i ran the tie rod through whats left of the fender wells.

frontendsurgerysr7.th.jpg

i had to use thumbnails because the photos were too big even though

imageshack claimed to reduce them to 640 X 480 it didnt seem to happen.

i will reupload them later and see if i can get decent images.

i hope to get the second color shot this weekend then pearl then clear!