Model Cars Magazine Forum

S series international

I personally would like to see them re-issued. They never really were big sellers for some reason, they did have some flaws but I think most builders will overcome those flaws. I'm partial to the 2674 and would build one with floats in front and 6 spokes in the rear.

I'd love to see these again. I was able to get one of each several years ago for $75 each which at the time was a decent price, they typically sell for much more than that when you can even find them.

Not sure why they wouldn't have sold well, the 1-1 were very common trucks, and they work well for medium or heavy duty truck projects. Models by Dave offers a hood to convert the S-2575 into one of the lighter weight S-1600 to S-1900 trucks. One thing for sure the molds sitting in a warehouse isn't going to make Round 2 any money.

I'd love to see these again. I was able to get one of each several years ago for $75 each which at the time was a decent price, they typically sell for much more than that when you can even find them.

Not sure why they wouldn't have sold well, the 1-1 were very common trucks, and they work well for medium or heavy duty truck projects. Models by Dave offers a hood to convert the S-2575 into one of the lighter weight S-1600 to S-1900 trucks. One thing for sure the molds sitting in a warehouse isn't going to make Round 2 any money.

The one complaint that I remember reading about was the lack of chrome. Most builders wanted something that was flashy and showy, they weren't looking for a work truck.

The one complaint that I remember reading about was the lack of chrome. Most builders wanted something that was flashy and showy, they weren't looking for a work truck.

Well that is a legitimate complaint for IH in general, they tend to be basic working trucks. I don't even recall seeing factory chrome on an IH before the 2002 models came out with their chrome grills.

As I like working trucks, no chrome means less parts I have to soak in the purple stuff. :)

They may have been slow sellers when new, but I can't help but think that they'd be decent sellers today.

I would agree with that, they do have an appeal to diehard truck guys. The box art for the 2575 wasn't accurate, it showed the 2300 instead, and I think it turned off some builders when they opened up the kit. The truck was really "blah" on the cover.

ternationalSseriesF2575Ertl125-vi.jpg

The 2674 had more to look at

DSCF0040-vi.jpg

I have one of the 2674's dump trucks in the stash! I don't remember where I got it or what I paid for it.

And I had the tractor version I sold to a friend twenty plus years ago.

After looking at the kit.Which is open but sealed inside. And the decals are cracked. I have decided I want the dump body. But might trade the truck itself . For something???

Would not be looking for an outrageous amount for it!

Open to suggestions guys.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Well that is a legitimate complaint for IH in general, they tend to be basic working trucks. I don't even recall seeing factory chrome on an IH before the 2002 models came out with their chrome grills.

As I like working trucks, no chrome means less parts I have to soak in the purple stuff. :)

All of the Transtar series of truck kits had plenty of chrome. But that's not the reason the S-Series weren't a big seller. The Paystar 5000 kit's also had less amount of chorme, and there was several diffrent issues of the paystar. They were as follow's: Cement mixer, Dump truck, logging truck, and just a plain paystar 5000 truck. The biggest reason the S-series failed was the extra long frame it had in the kit form, the box clearly showed a shorter framed s-series truck. The S-Series had three veration's that were kitted, those were the F-2575, F-2476 and F-2478 dump truck. Just because the truck was a big seller in the 1:1 did not equate to it being one in 1/25. As I stated before the first reason this kit failed was the long frame, sencondly for the F-2575 the grill was wrong as well. These trucks go together very well when being built, I myself am lucky that I have four of them built in my collectiont Of IH trucks.

The quality and accuracy of Ertl models was better when the company was owned by Victor Comptometer, which was primarily a cash register and adding machine company. When VC was acquired by Kidde Fire Extinguisher things changed for Ertl. The air ride suspension that was on the 4070A, 4270 and first release of the 4070 B Transtar II went away. The air ride was replaced with the Hendrickson walking beam, the 4270 became the 4370 Eagle, the accuracy just wasn't there anymore, remember the "Rubber Duck"? In any event, I would like to see them re-issued, I can deal with the frame being too long, thats why I have a saw and miter box. And, as Aaron stated, less chrome means less to soak in the purple pond B)

Im a huge fan of the S series trucks. I have managed to get my hands on several of the 2674 trucks for fairly reasonable prices lately. One Im already building into a Chicago snow plow. Id love to get my hands on one of the 2575's once I can find one. Seems like the 2674 was least popular and winds up on the bay quite often in unbuilt, unopened condition. I actually prefer the Ertl truck kits because of their incredible detail. All the internationals have working steering like the Macks. This is the one thing that the AMT trucks always lacked...

I have a bunch of both..f 2674 an f 2575...I'm with ya as well.I would love to buy a few more of both..don't care about the chrome or or long frame rails either.what was the inaccuracies of both kits.its been more years then I care to say sense I looked or built one?...Chris

I used to have a friend that worked at Ertl in Dyersville, Iowa.  He told me back in the mid-'80's that these kits had very poor retail sales, and that the majority of these S-series kits were sold to International dealers who not only sold 1:1 trucks and equipment, but also sold farm toys, scale models and die cast replicas as well.  I remember picking up a a dozen for $7.50 each from the local International truck dealership in suburban Chicago when I lived there.  He was glad to get rid of them after sitting in his store for a couple of years and only selling 6 of them before my purchase.  I actually used the chassis under some non-International resin conversions and fire apparatus.  Still wish I'd not built them all back then and had a couple of them today.

A.J.