Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Bright Red - which color of primer would be best?

I used Tamiya fine primer in light gray and it turned out great using their bright red. Took two coats to really cover everything without running it, but this is what it looks like...

20150705_123103_zpsm9jmsszq.jpg

Edited by JTalmage

I used Tamiya fine primer in light gray and it turned out great using their bright red. Took two coats to really cover everything without running it, but this is what it looks like...

It's gorgeous!

I'd use white primer then a coat of yellow before the TS-49 if I was going for the brightest red

You're kidding? Why the yellow, and would it be a gloss or flat yellow... which yellow would you recommend?

For years Ferrari has used red and orange primers under their reds. White also works well. Gray will just kill the color because of the translucents of reds and yellows or you will have to put so much on it buries the detail.

Thanks for all the help, guys! My 70 Chevelle is now clad in Tamiya White Primer. Have no yellow on hand, so I will have to forego that for now. This project was an attempt to find out why I had so many problems with the rear bumper in my previous attempt. Sure enough, Revell placed small tabs behind where the front bumper was supposed to go, but did nothing on the rear. So, I added my own tabs and will have no problem with the rear bumper.

Edited by fseva

You're kidding? Why the yellow, and would it be a gloss or flat yellow... which yellow would you recommend?

I'd use Floquil Reefer Yellow (now discontinued, but I stashed up a few bottles) or Model Master Flat Insignia Yellow. I don't think the exact shade of yellow matters that much. (These are for airbrush, of course.)

BTW, here's the last "bright red" paint job I did. I THINK I primed it with Model Master Rust, but there's a chance it was flat white--I can't recall for 100% certain. I DO remember that I laid just about an entire "little bottle" of Testor #3 Red on it--that's what it took to cover (with enough meat to polish it out).

AMT72Chevelle04.jpg

AMT72Chevelle02.jpg

The use of yellow as a base reminds me of way, way back in the day when I was a printer we used to use a yellow base when printing gold.

It made a big difference to the brilliance of the gold on printed paper..... Just some usless info as I reminisce on my long lost youth.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank, I've done some experimenting with red paint on different colored backgrounds. White, gray, silver, pink, gold, copper, rust colored and black. They are all different. No yellow yet.

I have a real old Humbrol enamel that is just gorgeous. I'm talking decades old. Still good and it's a beauty. Looks real good on a white underground. Reminds me of the Ruby Red on brother's new 64 Sport Fury. That was a killer red!

Michael

Frank, I've done some experimenting with red paint on different colored backgrounds. White, gray, silver, pink, gold, copper, rust colored and black. They are all different. No yellow yet.

I have a real old Humbrol enamel that is just gorgeous. I'm talking decades old. Still good and it's a beauty. Looks real good on a white underground. Reminds me of the Ruby Red on brother's new 64 Sport Fury. That was a killer red!

I found a can of Chrysler Yellow, and I tried that on a spoon, and then used the Tamiya red over half of the spoon... other than the overlap area, which allowed some of the yellow to show through, I couldn't see much of a difference... except that it took more paint to cover the yellow.