Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Greddy Rocket Bunny Enkai

PatW

I started this kit last week....................

1%20Aoshima%20kit_zpsqjskafjy.jpg

It has a double depth box as it can depict, USA, Euro and Japanese Toyota 86 and it's Scion equivalent.

Lots of parts.........................

2_zpsrne9cle3.jpg

In this build I shall use this photo as a guide, just with metalic red paint.

Toyota%2086%20Greddy%20s-charged_zpsxieg

There is a choice of 'stances' and I have chosen the cambered suspension version.

I have painted the disk calipers yellow where the instructions suggest both brake disks and calipers be aluminium.........................

6_zpsrvsy5dbu.jpg

The wheels were alloy painted from the box and I have painted them satin black.....................

7_zpsn8ghmfso.jpg

7A_zpsnxoph9ak.jpg

Thi is the bottom of the 'dummy' engine and gearbox with the suspension, hubs and steering...................

13_zps15r7otij.jpg

I understand an engine can be bought separately and fitted as both bonnet and boot lid are ready hinged.

More tomorrow.

Edited by PatW

this should be great. nice prototype to pick too. I love these cars; best looking new car on the road to my eyes (I mean the stock version, never seen these variants in person).

I think I saw an engine kit on HLJ just the other day but it may have been backordered.

I have a couple of these rocket bunny kits, I need to move one closer to the top of the build pile.

jb

Hi jb, yes there are lots of bits in the box to cover the variants, but instructions only for this Japanese RB Version..........

I've also seen the engines advertised here but they all seem to be sold out and on back order!

I research on google 'images of' etc and there are hundreds of pics, including a you tube promo video!

The rear end with prop, suspension, disks.etc........................

18_zps6juyj9pf.jpg

The exhaust system with suitable painting of bends and joints with clear blue acrylic.......................................

26_zpsnbrsvp7g.jpg

The bodyshell ready for metalic red Plasti-Kote rattle can. The masking is to aid adding the wings/fenders with no scraping of paint...................

25_zpsscpnimcr.jpg

More to come...................

The body after paint and removal of masking................................

27a_zpsy8vqotmu.jpg

Also the bonnet and boot lid.................................

31_zpsaqigoycs.jpg

I tried carbonfibre decal but it flaked off the next morning...........................

35_zps5vumgpnv.jpg

The finished underside of the chassis with all of the components............................

36_zpskss32olg.jpg

More tomorrow.

I've been so busy today in the cabin, so I thought I'd update now instead of tomorrow.................

Now going on the above photo with the matt black wings/fenders I've painted mine......................

43_zpsrsfrrvf6.jpg

And test fitted them............................

42_zps5y8ekidj.jpg

41_zps1sd0fkez.jpg

Sorry about the leg,it was hot here today (Unusual)

And a few more pics to come..................

Edited by PatW

Next is the interior............

48_zpsqt0fu1jh.jpg

And the Dash...............

49_zpslgrbwmik.jpg

The windows come in 3 pieces the two sides that fit on the outside and the front and rear which is in one moulding fitted from the inside.........................

The paint masks are also supplied...................

50_zpscg25mzer.jpg

With all of the windows in the Scuttle/ windscreen wipers, is fitted up the the edge of the front screen..........................

With radiator and headlights.................

53_zpsvd3v81rm.jpg

The front is next with the black moulded grill and numberplate...................

54_zpsztefz2r0.jpg

Some more later tomorrow.

I think I saw an engine kit on HLJ just the other day but it may have been backordered.

Any chance you can provide a link, far as I am aware, HLJ has never sold it, the only place I knew that had them was Hobby Easy

Pat,superbike-shaun here,looks like you have started "my Rocket bunny kit.you are correct,in that Aoshima has another kit,available with FA 20 subaru engine and transmission, that is how I bought mine from,Tokyo hobby.lookin good, did you say the C/F flaked off?

All the 86/BRZ kits with out the engine comes with the transmission and bell housing.

I've seen various resin based tuner engines for sale.

Yes shaun I did send you a message through this site saying I was about to start, perhaps you didn't get it?

Yes the CF was folded over on the edge of the fender and wouldn't stick it seems, and disintegrated the next day in minute flakes.

As martinfan states with this one there's just the bottom/transmission shape and gearbox belhousing.

Anyway more work to do tomorrow, and the subsequent pics to show!

I'm now hunting down extra 'tuner' decals to put on plus the kit ones.

In my google search into 'Images of Toyota 86 Rocket Bunny' I came across this, so hunting as above for more decals.............

Rear%20arch%20RB_zpsd8vroklm.jpg

I'll have to see what I can find.

Edited by PatW

Thanks Brizio, yes they are cool!

Here's today's work.........

Nose with brake ducts fitted to body................

55_zpstdku758d.jpg

Rear bumper and undertray......................

56_zpsmmz1iupd.jpg

Bumper unit fixed to body and test fit boot lid...................

57_zpswd3wxozx.jpg

More in a moment.............

Edited by PatW

and a few more......................

Body on and test fit bonnet (had to shave the outside plastic from the 'hinges' for smooth fit raise and lower, and to close properly)...................

61_zpsqzvdh9af.jpg

Photo Etch filler cap (if you can see it on my old cutting board!)...............

62%20Filler%20Cap_zps7onzltui.jpg

Stance with cambered hubs........a shot before the wings/fenders are fitted. Remember there are both standard and cambered hubs in the kit..............

64_zpslertrvpy.jpg

And the wings/fenders fitted!

66_zpsoc3jr3ft.jpg

More tomorrow........................

Edited by PatW

Cheers guys, yes it's a nice kit.

And here are the final pics..........................

Hanging the wing and test fitting the boot lid again........................

80%20Wing%20fixed_zpsi2c695ty.jpg

My own printed decal, hellaflush / illset / canibeat all over the bonnet.............................

86Hellaflush%20decal_zps2ymeerie.jpg

I started the kit decals first.......................................

88_zpsutscvukr.jpg

and some others from the kit.....................

92_zpsnbojeadg.jpg

And a few more.................

And having seen this whilst researching on Google...........................

Rear%20arch%20RB_zpsd8vroklm.jpg

I added a few of my own...................................

93_zpscuydbjua.jpg

So just prior to fitting bonnet and boot lid................................

95_zpsjfjjhp2n.jpg

And the last few to come.................

The last two pics to finish off.........................

You'll notice that the Advan tyre decals are missing as one was torn whilst laying up, so found Potenza ones from my own decal collection................ outside in the sun.......

101_zpsfzqk5oya.jpg

And the last one of many staged on the kitchen worktop!

117_zpsvif8vjm9.jpg

And that's it.

Now I'm about to start a Fujimi, McLaren MP4-12 sports racer converting it to a roadcar!

Edited by PatW

Thank you very much Doctor, I put it down to lots of research, always wanting to know how things look, before and during a build, picking up more tips and info.

Google has a lot to answer for!