Model Cars Magazine Forum

30 year old AMT 37 Chevy Gasser--Moved to Under Glass 08/16

mustang1989

Thanks JC! :D

Al: I thought still of doing a diorama but then again....that's another project I'd have to commit to. lol

Charles: Believe it or not everything else in the room was thrown out except for my cars which were still on my display shelves..................untouched.

Dave: You aint kiddin' there. I was surprised myself. lol

This is another one of those "tweeks" that I was talking about. For the life of me I just couldn't leave the grille the way it was. I broke out the Tamiya Smoke and used a little 70% ISO to help it flow into all the little grooves in the grill and applied a very subtle wash.

2015-07-09%202015-07-09%20001%20001_zpsa

Hi Joe, for some reason I missed this thread of yours. Not sure how that happened lol. Maybe not being in the hobby room for a while had something to do with it lol. I sure wish I still had some of my eqarlier builds around, I would love to bring some of them back to life. Nice progress buddy.

Thanks Carl and Jim! You know, initially I had no interest in this car. I had all of them out of that room except this one and at that time I didn't care whether this thing got thrown out or whatever. Then for some reason I had envisioned a resto on it and wanted it back. I aint gonna go crazy with this thing as I don't want to alter it.......that much. I am putting new bumpers and wheels on it from the newer kit. The fronts will be OOB and the rears are deep dish Cragars that I robbed out a Barris T Buggy kit . The rear tires will be new from the newer boxing and look superb and the fronts are skinnies from the Motorcraft T-Bird Pro Stock kit. I'll be replacing all of the door handles and rear deck latch and stop lamps as well. Engine will stay the same except for the supercharger intake. That thing just has to be replaced!!!!

Speaking of wheels I tried a trick that I didn't know anything about until about a month ago. I painted the chrome on the wheels with Tamiya Smoke X-19 thinned heavily with 70% ISO alcohol to produce a subtle , yet noticeable effect.

In the picture below , the wheel on the left has been given the "smoke" treatment whereas the one on the right is straight OOB. IMO it gives it a more realistic look.

Check it out:

2015-07-12%202015-07-12%20001%20001_zpse

Edited by mustang1989

Nice effort here, Joe. Toning down the chrome is an excellent idea, as they frequently do seem to be too "sparkly". I really regret letting my '32 Ford Phaeton get tossed, as I would love to have saved it. I have a replacement kit, but it's not the same.

Kevin: Man I hear ya on tossed models. I must have thrown 12-14 planes away when I was a kid. Wished I had 'em all now. Thanks for the good comments bud.

Andy: 'preciate it! It was a new trick that I learned and liked the results. God only knows how long its been around. lol

Thanks Carl! Fleas and bed bugs...........got it! :D

Well I worked on the engine a little today. I'm going to replace the exhaust but I'm trying to stick as close to my building style back then as possible. New chrome wheels mandate new chrome exhaust you know. Anyways I did manage to get a couple of test fit shots of most everything together today. The fit of the body onto the chassis is lousy at best. I'll work on it and get everything lined up for when the final assy time comes.

2015-07-15%202015-07-15%20001%20001_zpss

2015-07-15%202015-07-15%20001%20002_zps4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dave, James and Kevin. About the hood...............I dunno yet. My goal is to put this thing back as a refreshed build and shy away from mods. We'll see.

Ok I'm back with a few updates on this rascal. I have done a lot to this thing even though it doesn't really look like I did a thing. The side steps have been touched up with a fresh light coat of black as have the rear bumper mounts. I put the body on and it was an act of Congress to get that to happen as all the years of heat damage have warped the hell out of this model.......but......I got it. It fits terribly and there's just only so much I can do. I installed the rear bumper, door handles and fuel cap. I've painted replacement headlight buckets that will be set aside to dry/ gas out for the next two weeks.
I did drill into the body and into the headlight buckets so I could pin them in place. I don't know about anybody else here but getting stuff like outside rearview mirrors and externally mounted headlights mounted on the body is like dancing with the devil. If you slip up and "miss" the target glue point with the part then you risk screwing up a nice paint job. I pin 'em for an exact fit so I don't have to worry about this.
I'm working just as hard on this thing to keeping it true to my original build as I am modifying my decked out kits so if this aint perfect , there's reason. I wanted at least one "restored" model depicting my skills then vs. these days.
The recent pics...

Edited by mustang1989

Got to work on the stock hood. I didn't like the side panels so I cut 'em off....

and both sides ready for washing, priming and paint....

I also started working on the headlights. The replacement kit came with tinted brown headlights. I didn't much care for that so I stole some out of that Boss 429 Mustang kit that I stole the engine out of for my F-100. I trimmed em up and applied some Future over the lenses. No pics but you'll see the results here in a week or so.

Ok. I finally got the headlamp assys completed. I got complete with the passengers side lamp and started on the drivers side. While trying to glue the lens in place I dropped it into a drop of clear parts glue and blemished the outside of it. I dropped into a small bottle of Windex and stripped off the Future and started over with it. A while later I was able to finish the drivers headlamp assy off. I also managed to paint the hood sections last night and this morning were dry enough to fit on for pics. After 30 years the original blue has faded and is noticeable here.
You know, this model will certainly never be one of my best nor will it ever be in a model show however I look on this one with the mindset of it was one of the stepping stones toward getting better as well as admiring the fact that it's survived all these years.

A couple more finishing touches to go and I'll get some glamour shots of the ol' mule. BTW I have since fixed that utterly disgusting gap between the front fender and the drivers side step as well as the 3/16" offset towards the passengers side of the body mount on the frame. Took some patience but I got it. The glamour shots will reflect this change.

Edited by mustang1989