Model Cars Magazine Forum

Consensus on Plum Crazy

Hi all. Is there a consensus here in the forum about who makes the best or closest version of Dodge Plum Crazy paint? I am going to be replicating a friends 1:1 '71 Charger, and want a really nice match. Thanks all, Sean.

Hi Sean, I like the color too. To have consensus there has to be a multiple offer. I don't know of any who make the paint color, do you have some examples to show?

I could imagine mixing the paint with H of K products for instance.

Who has the color ready to go?

I've never used the Model Master Plum Crazy but I've heard a couple modelers whose word I trust on the subject say it's not quite right.

Google-image 1970 Plum Crazy and you'll get to look at dozens of cars--but wow, what a variation in color!

When MCW paints appeared in the early '90s, I did a Monogram '70 GTX in their Plum Crazy. I don't have a pic of it handy, but of all the cars I saw on google-image, I think it's closest in color to this one. Is it accuate? I'm not expert enough on the shade to say.

6040363324_746a970e4e_b.jpg

If you go to a large Mopar show you'll see about a dozen different shades of Plumb Crazy even though they all specced paint code FC7. Every paint supplier seems to have a slightly different tint. I think that the colour on my Challenger is close to Chrysler original paint code. The right rear rim is factory original paint. The paint on the other rims is a slightly different shade from the paint on the body but both are supposed to be plumb crazy.

thanks

Carl

post-161-0-03558400-1436233504_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Color matching is all in the eye of the beholder. We all see color differently. Plus you might be using the exact paint code, but if the preparation isn't exactly the same (and who is to say what the exact preparation is) than the color will be different. Not to mention the lighting you're looking at the paint under.

Gravity Colors! http://gravitycolors.com/us/product/chrysler-plum-crazy/

They have some beautiful colors and you can't beat the price for volume.

Tim

Those look very interesting, so thanks for the link. I'll have to give them a try.

Never heard of Gravity colors but they sure have some popular colors and the price looks really good.  Does anyone know how large those bottles are ?  Are they 1 oz ?

Yes. Not cheap, by a long shot, but may well be worth it.

Edited by Roadrunner

I wonder about the stability and consistency of the original paint.  I saw several Plum Crazy cars at Mopar shows back in the eighties, and many of them had original paint.  No two matched.  An old salt who actually sold Plymouths all through the sixties claimed that Plum Crazy (In Violet in Plymouth vernacular)  could vary from car to car within a delivery.  He thought the paint wasn't mixed very well at the factory, giving some cars more or less flake than others.  He even sent two 'Cudas back because they didn't match across the whole car, with noticeable light and dark panels and patches.   Moulin Rouge and Limelight had different problems, as they tended to fade a bit, and were very hard to match for repairs.  He was glad to see the crazy colors go away, although he drove a Sassy Grass Green Duster for many years.

• 2 months later...

Might be a little late, but for these older 70s high impact colors I always go to NAPA. They mixed many colors for me in the past, including plum crazy and they all looked great.  May be a little pricey for the small amout youre getting but I think its worth it.  

Edited by Evil Appetite

Ok, I'm going to get some hate mail for this but, this is a pet peeve of mine. Throwing up a photo on the internet or pulling a photo off of a web site and saying "This it the correct color" is totally bogus! Color as displayed on a computer monitor varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and can be highly dependent on monitor settings. The same is true of digital photography. The only way to get an exact match is to go to the original paint manufacture with the correct code and even then it may not be the same as OEM paint varied from batch to batch. Also due to scale effect, the correct paint may not look "right" on a model because of the variance of lighting and perspective. I have painted models with paint from the same can as a 1:1 car was painted with and had it "not look right". You set the model on the real deal and it was obviously the exact same paint, but view them apart and it just had the wrong look. The best you can do is get paint from a good source and go with it. Worrying about a subtly of shade is a fools errand.