Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good automotive references

in the never ending quest to find detailed photos of real cars to refer to when modeling, i stumbled across this photo site that has lots of pictures of heaps of cars. I have no affiliation, i'm just hoovering all the good ones.

http://tenwheel.com/category/741-trucks_cars__trucks_/index.html

please post some of your favorite sites to help out others.

ford_mach_1_1973_1_lgw.jpg

Edited by kruleworld

I have a pretty good dead tree reference library of stuff I'm interested in, but usually these days my go-to reference is google-image. Images of what I'm looking for are often linked to good text on that subject, too.

Edited by Snake45

Interesting site, looks like they have a bit of everything on there. I bookmarked it for future reference.

My normal reference for the stuff that I tend to build is the "Little Pages", digest sized versions of Rod & Custom, Car Craft, etc.. I have a pretty extensive collection of Little Pages plus Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, Car Craft and others in the larger Magazine Format. While I don't always remember where an article or car I'm looking for is at, I can usually find it within an hour or so. I like those because when you're looking for "Period Correct" you are certain that it is, versus someone's recollection of what stuff was like.

Showroom literature is cool--I have a BUNCH of it that I picked up out of actual showrooms between 1967 and 1972, and I refer to it often. But it's not a particularly good reference source in many cases. You have to remember that most of that stuff was prepared far in advance (in the spring/summer of the previous year) and doesn't have late introduction/midyear options, colors, powertrain combos, even whole models. Most of the Pontiac stuff in those days was illustrated, not photographed (albeit beautifully). And it wasn't unknown for photos to be altered. For example, if you look closely at the '69 Chevelle brochure, you can see where '68 Chevelle trim and nameplates have been retouched out and the '69 items added.

As I said, very cool old stuff, though.