Model Cars Magazine Forum

- Discovery Channel’s CUBAN CHROME, a groundbreaking new docu-series that explores the fascinating time warp that characterizes Cuban car culture, will premiere on Monday, July 13th at 10pm ET/PT. Produced by Pilgrim Studios (Fast ‘N Loud, Street Outlaws), CUBAN CHROME is the first American television series to be produced entirely on location in Cuba. CUBAN CHROME will be simulcast in English on Discovery Channel and in Spanish on Discovery en Español.

Should be really interesting

This sounds cool .. amazing '50's cars there that have been kept alive with whatever was available. And some actually look good! It should spark ideas for some cool builds .. a whole new category! ... now we'll be able to scoff at those '50's rivet counters! :lol::D

Edited by Foxer

From what I have seen and read the Cuban people have a great love of old American cars. I applaud their use of resources to keep these cars running. Look at how hard it is even with all of the parts resources we have here. Just have to respect what these people have been able to do for so many years.

There's a wide variety of drivetrains being used now. From listings on revolico.com (the Cuban Craigslist):

'55 Buick Special, Hyundai H100 running gear

11850405b.jpg

'55 Bel Air, Toyota 3 liter, trans and differential

11884892c.jpg

'54 Ford, Mitsubishi L300/automatic running gear ("Mitsubichy" - these ads have spelling just as strange as many Craigslist ads do)

11879969a.jpg

Mercedes diesels are popular as well.

You can't buy 'em, but you can have fun looking:

http://www.revolico.com/autos/carros/search.html?q=&min_price=&max_price=&images=on

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Gotta add one more; this one's still got its Rocket under the hood (and '55-'56 Chrysler headlight bezels) - the Jo-Han '56 Olds 98 promo reissue would be a good start on a conversion:

Un auto realmente poco común, no un "exclusivo" Ford o Chevrolet, el modelo STARFIRE 98 se fabricó sólo en los años 55 y 56, en cantidades inferiores a 3000 cada año. Elegante pero fuerte e irrompible como cualquier otro Oldsmobile. Con su mecánica original.

12348364a.jpg

12348364b.jpg

12348364c.jpg

"A really uncommon auto, not an "exclusive" Ford or Chevrolet, the Starfire 98 model was built only in '55 and '56 in quantities of less than 3000 each year. Elegant but strong and unbreakable like any other Oldsmobile. With its original mechanicals."

This sounds like it could be interesting, how long before somebody posts an island car like a 50 olds with modern toyota running gear in the WIP thread?

Don't think I've never considered the idea of building such an animal. I've messed around with the thought of doing a Cuban-style road beater, just haven't pulled the trigger on the deal yet. I'm pretty sure I can't be the only one who's entertained the thought.

I've had a big collection of Cuban car photos for a long time. I even have a paper book on them. I've had my ideas, but like Chuck, I haven't pulled the trigger on any of them. I've had my eye out for an unusual power plant... can anyone recommend a Russian diesel??

I've always been fascinated with the Cuban cars. The laws there limited car ownership, and these are legacy cars that couldn't be sold, but could be passed down to the next generation, obviously several times! "My grandfather was a taxi driver in Havana, my father was a cab driver in Havana, me too! Same car too!" And in a very poor country owning one of these is the ticket to employment. That's why you'll see convertibles and 2 door cars in taxi service.

The Cuban government has opened up car ownership, and that's why you'll now see some of these for sale. They opened new car dealerships in Havana. I had read that a new Peugeot was something like $50-75,000 in a country where the average person makes $200 a month. There have been cars imported since the US embargo, mainly from their Russian trading partners and South America. I saw some Ford trucks in some of the photos that look like South American ones, and some old US school buses in some of the online photo albums.

Of course the general media lauds these as a major hoard of valuable, pristine antique cars, but we know better. Most of these are so patched together that they wouldn't be desirable to American car guys.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a cool show, it will probably come to our nordic Discovery soon (I hope) and then I will watch it aswell.

I did start a cuban-car modelproject some years ago using Revells old 53/54 gasser kit that I started converting in to a more normal roadcar in Cuban style but like so many other modellingprojects it stranded. Maybe I will get inspired to continue work on it when I see the show.

I watched the first show and enjoyed it to a point. My only problem is with the Discovery "voice".  #1 one of the main people that the show is following is a man owning a repair/restore business. He drives a '33 or '34 Ford 3 window. The announcer calls it " a model A ". Later in a race between this car and a '56 Ford Victoria hardtop the Ford is called a Crown Victoria. It may have been at one time but some where along the line it lost it's crown. #2 The put up drama with two son in laws sent to find a part for their families Oldsmobile that needs a bearing for the steering box. They are told to spend no more than $25 and they get a part for $30. The usual complaining about getting taken follows. The only problem I saw was they had a Universal Joint not a steering box bearing. They did show a cruise with members of the Islands car club. Some very nice cars with a lot of effort shown by their owners, they should all be proud. My only fear is that Discovery will follow their standard practice of trying to create unneeded drama for what they think is entertainment. This could be a very good show if Discovery would just learn a little more about the automobile and do away with the drama.         

If you go to the website to browse,  note that the conversion of one Cuban CUC is $1 US so it's real easy.

Seems you can buy a 1955-7 Chevy 4 door sedan, very nice paint, custom interior, Toyota drivetrain with air conditioning for around $25,000  There were other old American cars from $6,000 and up too.  Most of them with Russian drivetrains.   Always wanted a '53 Chevy with a Russian diesel in it!

Then notice that a 2000 Fiat is also $26,000 and a 2006 Hyundai Sorento is $75,000.  A crazy auto market for sure!

Yep I noticed the universal joint thing too. I mean, really? And last nite a fellow with a really worn out healey has his protege "diagnose" a problem. "Compression's OK cause the engine sounds good!" then tells that the problem is the starter because of course the coil wire is disconnected, and we all know that can fix a bad starter. This seems aimed at  non-car people, or maybe even car people who no nothing of how a car works. Or maybe people who are drama junkies. Just dont get me started on the fakey tire squealing noises.......