Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reusable aerosol can

Hi,

Unsure what section to post this under so apologies to the moderators in advance.

Has any one tried this in a paint/primer/etc application?

The image is sorta for junk but its a "TruePower Refillable Aerosol Bottle".

It can take 90PSI and has a few diff nozzles for fine mist etc...

post-14706-0-14599100-1436450136_thumb.j

Edited by aurfalien

The description from Amazon:

Multipurpose reusable refillable aerosol spray bottle can spray water, thin oils, household cleaners, penetrants, solvents, etc.

• Air pressure up to 90psi using air compressor or bicycle tire pump through the built-in air inlet valve stem.

• 16 fluid oz bottle can hold up to 8 fluid oz Maximum liquid contents for spraying.

• 3 spray tips sizes, 4 extension tubes, 2 replacement valve cores and O-rings included

• NOT for use as a pressurized air duster or with paints/primers.

Note that it's not intended for use with paints.

You could use an air chuck with a gauge, or just put a little in at a time and check it with a tire pressure gauge. I think the no paint or primer is because the solvents would eat the plastic dip tube. You could probably shoot acrylics with no problem. Just make sure you let all the pressure out before running cleaner through it.

You could use an air chuck with a gauge, or just put a little in at a time and check it with a tire pressure gauge. I think the no paint or primer is because the solvents would eat the plastic dip tube. You could probably shoot acrylics with no problem. Just make sure you let all the pressure out before running cleaner through it.

I don't think solvents would be the issue. I've seen similar sprayers, even used one once, they're made to be used with brake and carburetor cleaners, which are very hot solvents. some of the ingredients in those are the same as what's in plastic cements. I would be more inclined to think the problem with using paints in them would be a clogging issue from the solids that are in the paint.

I don't think solvents would be the issue. I've seen similar sprayers, even used one once, they're made to be used with brake and carburetor cleaners, which are very hot solvents. some of the ingredients in those are the same as what's in plastic cements. I would be more inclined to think the problem with using paints in them would be a clogging issue from the solids that are in the paint.

Good point. Cleaning it may be a pain. Discharge, empty, add cleaner, blow through, discharge, etc.

I bought one many years ago, I still have it and rarely use it. I tried all the different nozzles and found it doesn't work very well for paint at all.

Even when charged fully it doesn't spray for long as the material is depleted so is the pressure. So to empty the canister it needs to be recharged with more air pressure a couple times.

The spray pattern and volume changes quite a bit and quickly.

The best use I've found for it is for spraying cleaning chemicals/solvents. But even then it is a hassle to fill, charge, recharge & clean.

You can be into a very serviceable airbrush rig and compressor that will last you for years (or decades) for under $150 if you're careful. If you're REAL careful you might be able to do it for $100 or just over. For that kind of value, I can't see messing around with something like this. :blink:

Well, I'm prolly gonna use this just for computer/stereo dusting, solvant spraying and cleaner spraying.

I think the re-use factor is very cool, I get really tired of buying air cans and go through many.

In terms of paint, well I use spray cans for now and foresee a day when airbrush will be in my repertoire. But baby steps, baby steps.

And I've learned my lesson trying to cut corners and be a wise guy. I pretty much listen to the masters on this forum.

Edited by aurfalien

If you're still looking onto getting one, go to Menard's. They have them for about $9. Much better that the $20-$25 on Amazon. I picked up one today, haven't tried it yet. Other than the the nozzles, it's pretty much the same as the refillable sprayers that shops use for brake/carb cleaners.