Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little bit about "Two Door" stationwagons

Makes ya wonder if any of these still exist. And what the actual production number was! In many cases a car like this was ordered as a commercial vehicle by a company or utility that ordered a few hundred to a few thousand.

Mark - thats a wonderful Handyman wagon. '56 is my favorite Tri-Chevy year! Many people don't realize this is a completely different car from the Nomad.

Forgot all about the Crosley! I almost bought one once, too.

My Crosley experience was summer of 1976. My clan hung out at Ed Hubb's junkyard and he had towed a Crosley wagon in. Just for fun he got it running, and we all drove it around the property. It had been sitting awhile and was pretty rusty. I was 17 and just out of high school, so there was no serious consideration of acquiring and restoring it. I have no idea what happened to it.

In my case, it was a neighbor, Mr. Potter, that lived a block or so away from me that was a vintage car collector. He also had a 30s Buick, a '64 'Vette coupe, and a '48 Chevy 4 door. He was the original owner of the Crosley. At the time, I was looking for a vintage car or truck to restore, really wanted a '55-'59 Chevy or GMC truck or a Tri-5 Chevy. Hear from one of my dads cousins that Mr. Potter was thinning out his collection, and had the '48 Chevy for sale for $800. Went up to talk to him, yes, the Chevy was for sale, but for $8000, more than what I had to spend at the time. But the Crosley was also for sale, and it was the one he wanted $800 for. I considered it, but decided to pass and keep looking for what I was really after, which I did eventually get.

I especially liked this one:

Buick-vista-wagon-2-door.png

Snake, I got to see that Buick GS wagon in the flesh (sheet metal???), so to to speak, a couple of years ago when the Buick National meet was held in Iowa. That is one nice customizing job. Looks like something the factory would have done. Completely and correctly stock other than the the roof. Notice how the "C" pillar and the dome wrap over piece match up. This was no amateur hack job. Like I say, it looked like the factory did it. Very nice!

Scott

tomcar12-vi.jpg

The only wagon I ever owned, a 1973 Saab 95 wagon. Ford V4 that sat in front of the front axle with a four speed on the column. It also had third row seating. It looked like nobody had ever washed or waxed it. The paint in the door jambs was a bright apple green. Talk about a car from another planet.

This was back in the 1980s. A friend of mine told me he had another friend who had a car I'd appreciate. Then one day he introduced me to Bill and this Saab wagon. I said the standard thing, "if you ever want to get rid of it, give me a call." Well 99% of time they never call. One day I came home and found it sitting in my driveway with the title in the glove box! Bill had given me the car.

That's when I noticed that the title was from someone Bill had acquired the car from several years prior. Yea, Bill had driven this car daily for several years without ever licensing or insuring it. Funny thing, he had never gotten pulled over.

I kept it for about a year. The CV joints were crying for mercy and I couldn't find any parts in those pre-internet days. So I drove it sparingly. Then a guy who already had a few of this genre Saab approached me and we made a deal.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Snake, I got to see that Buick GS wagon in the flesh (sheet metal???), so to to speak, a couple of years ago when the Buick National meet was held in Iowa. That is one nice customizing job. Looks like something the factory would have done. Completely and correctly stock other than the the roof. Notice how the "C" pillar and the dome wrap over piece match up. This was no amateur hack job. Like I say, it looked like the factory did it. Very nice!

Scott

Thanks for the details! B)

That rear quarter panels from the '61 Plymouth wagon illustrated above were re-used for the '62 Chrysler Newport and New Yorker Town and Country Hardtop Wagons.  

Of course, Chrysler only offered four door wagons in 1962, but they COULD have offered two door wagons as well, re-using the two door quarter panel from the '61 Plymouth 2-door suburban illustrated in the sales catalog and reproduced in Greg's original thread above.  

If so, it might have looked like this.... DSC_0421-vi.jpg

More pictures here.... http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/tim-boyds-124th--12/boyd-1950s1960searl/

This model was based on/converted from the 1962 four door New Yorker Town and Country wagon from Modelhaus.  The colors are the two Spring Colors from the 1962 Chrysler model year, as reproduced by special order from MCW Automotive Finishes.   

Best Regards....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd