Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lonestar & Featherlite-ish Transporter

With the new NASCAR kits coming, figured I should get another transporter built (been planning it for while), it will be pulled by a Lonestar, but trailer first ( what came first, the trailer or the truck lol) , this trailer will not be done for anyone team.

Enough of the talking

Most of the trailer kit
IMG_0332_zps2rmw8fnw.jpg
Rear half of the frame/floor
IMG_0335_zpsqy71zb1j.jpg
Front half of the frame/floor
IMG_0337_zpsy2k6nzgt.jpg
And as a whole, total length is at right about 25 inches, little shy on it being scale 53ft
IMG_0340_zpsgsvxiyoo.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

I will be very interested to see how you do the tail lift Jonathan . I was going to see if the AMT race trailer could be made to work the same . As the way they tell you to put it together does not work at all . Great work so far BTW cat wait to see more

I will be very interested to see how you do the tail lift Jonathan . I was going to see if the AMT race trailer could be made to work the same . As the way they tell you to put it together does not work at all . Great work so far BTW cat wait to see more

Dave, you can do it on one of the AMT trailers , and it shouldnt be that hard, the track system is going to be one of the first things I do after I attach the sides to the frame, I use L-channels and a I-beam , I will do my best to take enough photos to help you out with the gate and track system.

The other way you could go about it, and I would recommend this for the AMT trailer , is using square tube, or maybe even rectangle tube , and cut down the middle of it vertically , you just want to remove enough from the middle so the middle of the I beam can fit in it , I hope that makes sense.

Edited by martinfan5

Definitely, looking forward to seeing how you do your lift, as well.....The Square tubing and I beam is a great idea...I never would have thought of that one.....I have another trailer shell I built a while back that I just may try that on.....This is a great project...I'm glued to the computer....Can't wait for the next update....Big fan of your work, Man....

Thanks for the info Jonathan I look forward to your update . I think I understand your explanation . Can the tail take the weight of a car as well ?

Yes they can , you just have to make sure whatever method you are using to hold the gate up(chain/fabric rope) is secure and strong enough to support the weight.

Decided to start on the Lonestar, so far

IMG_0416_zps7mhdbfwg.jpg

Getting the cab ready for some primer

IMG_0414_zpsnxrfx8cl.jpg

And removed the chrome from a lot of parts that are not really chromed on the 1:1

IMG_0417_zpsx8hzyqvb.jpg

The Fuel tanks will done in polished aluminum and most of the parts that I stripped the chrome on will be done in aluminum

Time for a little up date, lets start with the LoneStar, getting the frame together

IMG_0424_zps48l7emj5.jpg

painted

IMG_0426_zpswwboguqo.jpg

And on to the trailer, now its looking like a trailer

IMG_0430_zpsgal7ldi1.jpg

IMG_0429_zpsq0u3oaej.jpg

And here is how I did the track system, starting with I think it was 294 L Channel from Evergreen

IMG_0431_zpsjdfytyoy.jpg

After some gluing, it looks this

IMG_0433_zpsp9bahwa3.jpg

And you can see how the I-Beam will sit

IMG_0434_zpsajquwygh.jpg

And, started working on the roof , dont mind all the masking tape .

IMG_0435_zps4yfz715r.jpg