Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any reviews of AMT 1965 Pontiac 2+2?

fseva

Yes, it helps, but is there any other reason why to avoid this kit, other than it being inaccurate?

If that alone is not a good enough reason to avoid a kit......I don't know what to tell you! If you've seen the type of work I do, well there's a reason my handle is what it is.

Just my own 2¢ worth............ :blink:

If that alone is not a good enough reason to avoid a kit......I don't know what to tell you! If you've seen the type of work I do, well there's a reason my handle is what it is.

Just my own 2¢ worth............ :blink:

If he doesn't know or care what it looks like.... why'd he even ask?

He asks questions like this frequently,and then responds just like he did today..

Lesson learned....

Edited by mike 51

If he doesn't know or care what it looks like.... why'd he even ask?

He asks questions like this frequently,and then responds just like he did today..

Lesson learned....

Uh huh...........I see!

Well, I haven't had to use this feature for a very long time, but it looks like the ignore button will have to be deployed on this one. ;)

Uh huh...........I see!

Well, I haven't had to use this feature for a very long time, but it looks like the ignore button will have to be deployed on this one. ;)

I'm very disappointed in you, Bill... I thought of all the builders who would welcome a conversation with me, it would be you, because you seem to care about those who aren't "in the know", which I consider myself. And yet, you take the side of someone who had only done cruel things to me on this forum. :(

Bill sent me a pm and we came to a better understanding. First of all, I appreciated the comments about the lack of accuracy in this kit so much that I have decided not to pursue the kit I saw on eBay. Secondly, somehow "locking" threads has gotten a bad rap, and I thought I was doing the forum a favor by closing down threads that I no longer wished to follow. Needless to say, I will not be doing that anymore.

Edited by fseva

Wow, I built the 2+2 kit back in the 90's because it was an interesting looking kit. I had know idea the kit was wrong (no internet) Painted it bright yellow, which is probably wrong too. I wasn't a big Pontiac fan (still not), but it was an easy and fun build. I usually don't build for absolute accuracy, I just like to build.

" I usually don't build for absolute accuracy, I just like to build. "

Pretty much sums up me too.

Ironically I had just started this model as a slump buster. I've added most of the custom parts with some modifications.

After reading what a POS this kit is I guess I should have just throw it away.

Some people really know how to kill a buzz! ;)

Would grafting the Buick roof on the GP body be feasible, then grafting in the 2+2 emblems into the body?

Or am I missing something here?

With some tweaking the Buick roof should work, or if you don't mind fixing the driver's side of the '65 Bonneville, you can hack that off on put it on the lower body of the Grand Prix.

For what this is worth:

I was a teenage car nut when the '65 and '66 Pontiacs were on the street. You couldn't get through a typical day without seeing at least five of six of them, and I can assure you that I gawked at every single 2-door of them I ever saw--Bonneville, Catalina, GP, whatever (the 4-doors didn't interest me). And I never knew until just a few years ago that the Catalinas and Bonnevilles were two different lengths/wheelbases. The difference in length wasn't apparent to me, and now, even that I know it's there, I can't really see it.

So if/when I get around to building my AMT '65 2+2, I'm just gonna fix that roof (which IS apparent to me) and drive on OOB with it.

Just sayin'....B)

... And I never knew until just a few years ago that the Catalinas and Bonnevilles were two different lengths/wheelbases...

me neither... here's another one to throw into the mix...

PC104611_zpssfgb5v1t.jpg

our Parisiennes rode the chevy frames' 119" wb vs the Catalina 121" and the Bonneville 124" wb. This particular '65 is one of about 75 built with the 409. For those interested in perspective, the front fender chrome strip behind the tire is 16" and the one behind the door is 20".

mike

I havent seen this kit since I built a replica of my uncle's 66 Catalina back in the mid 90s. I remember it built out to be a nice kit. I too am not horribly worried about accuracy issues. I enjoy the hobby for what it is, not "how it should be"....

our Parisiennes rode the Chevy frames' 119" wb vs the Catalina 121" and the Bonneville 124" wb. This particular '65 is one of about 75 built with the 409. For those interested in perspective, the front fender chrome strip behind the tire is 16" and the one behind the door is 20".

mike

Tough looking car! With the shorter wheelbase, where did GM take out the two inches, ahead of the cowl or somewhere else?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

How many recognize the names "Star Chief" and "Executive"? They were other models in the full-size Pontiac line. I think they were lower-trimmed versions of the Catalina and Bonneville. I'd have to look it up--I have the '66 showroom brochure around here somewhere. I don't think those names lasted into '67, though.

Heck, maybe half the Pontiacs I saw back in the day were Star Chiefs and Executives. I called 'em all Bonnevilles unless I got close enough to see the Catalina name. I always thought Catalina was just a Biscayne/Bel Air to the Bonneville's Impala. Didn't realize at the time it was shorter, too.

Of course I always knew the GP with its distinctive front, back, and roof treatments. Don't think I realized it was shorter, too.

The Star Chief (in the early 1960's) was generally a four door sedan and four door hardtop only, using the Bonneville body (longer wheelbase and longer body including extended rear quarters), but generally with the lower-level Catalina series interior appointments.  It was replaced by the Executive series as noted by Bob, which did carry into 1967 at least.  

By contrast, in some years there was a separate Ventura series, which used the shorter wheelbase/rear quarter Catalina body, but with interior trim more reminiscent of the premium Bonneville interior.   

TIM

Edited by tim boyd