Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Chrysler 300B (*** Finished 22 Nov 15 ***)

taaron76

Going a little untraditional with the color on this one. I'll be cutting the doors and trunk out on this one, too. Gravity Colors Skoda Rally green is the color for this one, but it will have some nice white-walls on it and lowered a tad. Haven't decided on the interior colors just yet. Cutting out the doors takes about 30-45 per side since the plastic is a little thicker, and lining up the door panel will be tricky, but one step at a time.

Tim

Colors-vi.jpg

Edited by taaron76

The A-posts on the '65 Chevelle I finished up last week were actually thinner, but the Mobieus kit is a little thicker and more stout. Not a problem and its a lot stronger than what it looks. The Chevelle was very flimsy after everything was cut, but you just have to take your time.

Tim

C11-vi.jpg

Morning Tim, nice start. I love these kits from Mobieus. I did one of their 55's a while back. Where did ya get the gravity brand paints from? My lhs doesn't carry them. Something you ordered maybe?

Thanks, Jim! Gravity Colors is new to the market, www.gravitycolors.com is where you can order them from. There are some beautiful colors in their stockpile. Take a look on the Facebook page I invited you to.

Tim

something I had suggested in the door hinge thread, have you considered installing the hinge before the door/trunk has been cut out?

it would mean some earlier interior tub/chassis fit checking but may eliminate later door/trunk alignment issues.

something I had suggested in the door hinge thread, have you considered installing the hinge before the door/trunk has been cut out?

it would mean some earlier interior tub/chassis fit checking but may eliminate later door/trunk alignment issues.

Something I hadn't thought of, but will try it out on the drivers side door and trunk. Thanks!

Tim

I used that green on a recent '50 Olds build. Very nice color that will look great on that Chrysler. The only issue I have with the Gravity paint is that it's very expensive - $6.75 for 1oz of pre-mix.

Thanks! I guess I see it differently as getting a good quality paint that is ready to spray is worth the extra two bucks.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to finish cutting out the doors and trunk and installing the hinges.  The process of lining the door panels up with everything after you cut them out is painstakingly slow... and tedious.  Everything has to match up perfect on the mockup to make sure after paint, it all lines up and comes together.

Tim

Hinges1-vi.jpg

Hinges2-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of progress on the '56 Chrysler 300B over the last few days.  Doors and trunk are framed with the magnets installed to keep them closed.  I also got to spray from Gravity Colors Skoda Rally Green and clear coat.  These are the new "go to" paints for sure.  Loved everything about them!

Tim

Color6.jpg

Color5.jpg

Color4.jpg

Color3.jpg

Color2.jpg

Color1.jpg