Model Cars Magazine Forum

Primer for Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer System?

I have the Testors Model Master Custom Lacquer System paint(color, Ultra Gloss Clearcoat and the White Primer.

I haven't used it yet but will be doing so soon. I did try the Testors Custom Lacquer System Primer on another model and it sprays real thick and isn't smooth at all. It doesn't spray nearly as nice as the Tamiya Fine Surface primer I usually use. I really don't like it much.

Is Tamiya Fine Surface Primer OK for use under the Testors MM Custom Lacquer System paint?

Is there another primer that's good under the Testors MM Custom Lacquer System?

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Crowe,you can use any type of automotive lacquer under the Testors MM paints,just be sure to do a test on the same scrap spruce from the kit you're painting. Shaun

To elaborate on this a little...many of us get outstanding results using Duplicolor or PlastiKote primers made for real-car use, available at auto-parts stores.

These primers come in a range of colors, typically gray, red, black and white.

They also come in two 'thicknesses'. There's "high-build" (also called "scratch filling") primer that's ideal over heavy bodywork, and there's "sandable" primer (from both companies) that goes on much thinner and doesn't obscure fine details like the "high-build" products can.

These primers can be 'hotter" than those made for models, and sometimes may craze the surface of the plastic you're working with, so testing on a non-visible part (or sprue) of EACH model you're working on is a good idea BEFORE you commit to using anything on a particular kit.

This is the Duplicolor "high-build" gray over lots of heavy bodywork.

DSCN5514.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You can use pretty much any primer , but for hobby primers, Tamiya primer is one the best ones out there.

I have almost always used Tamiya primer, but sometimes Plastikote. I admit to being a coward based on experience with Testor's previous enamel primers. Even thought they told me a few years back at IHOBBY that they corrected the problem in the primers, I just won't touch them.

Testors lacquers are not "hot" paints.

You can use virtually any primer you would like under them.

Steve

+1 on this. I've used the Testor lacquers over Testor enamels (flat) as a primer, as well as over the cheap Walmart primers. No problems whatsoever.

I have found that the nozzles on the MM lacquers very from one can/color to the next. Most spray way too heavy and even splatter at times, others spray a very nice fine mist. I save the nozzles that spray the fine mist for the next can that sprays heavy.

I have found that the nozzles on the MM lacquers very from one can/color to the next. Most spray way too heavy and even splatter at times, others spray a very nice fine mist. I save the nozzles that spray the fine mist for the next can that sprays heavy.

I do that too.

I find that probably 75% of the Testors nozzles are trash.

Why these companies don't use a "fan spray" nozzle for their paints like Duplicolor is beyond me.

Steve

Thanks guys! I'll most likely use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. A friend had suggested I use the Testors Custom Lacquer System Primer to keep it all one system. However I just don't like how thick and rough it sprays. As long as the Tamiya primer is OK to use for the Testors MM Custom Lacquer System paint I'll stick to using it. It sprays on nice and thin and smooth.

Mike.

Thanks guys! I'll most likely use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. A friend had suggested I use the Testors Custom Lacquer System Primer to keep it all one system. However I just don't like how thick and rough it sprays. As long as the Tamiya primer is OK to use for the Testors MM Custom Lacquer System paint I'll stick to using it. It sprays on nice and thin and smooth.

Mike.

The Tamiya fine surface is an excellent primer, just pricey.

Try a new nozzle on the MM sometime, you will be amazed.

I have almost always used Tamiya primer, but sometimes Plastikote. I admit to being a coward based on experience with Testor's previous enamel primers. Even thought they told me a few years back at IHOBBY that they corrected the problem in the primers, I just won't touch them.

Its of my opinion that Mr Hobby Mr Surfacer is even better than Tamiya Primer, and I would switch to that full time, but its not cheap if you want to get in the spray can , their black primer is amazing. I dont use enamels anymore if I can help it, but I dont blame you for not wanting to try them again, better off that way.

Model Master's Lacquer primer is pretty good, the gray is very dark, its very close to being the shade of Nato black, does not go on very smooth in my experience, I have not used the white.

I dont use auto primers anymore, I have found that its to hot for Japanese plastic, have had issues with it crazing, so I just dont bother, I do like to keep a can of it on hand for other uses, but not for bodies.

Check the price of the Tamiya primer at your LHS.Often the price will be comparable with Hobby Lobby and it's 40% off coupon.

Yeah , not even close, the price that hobby Lobby sells it for is the same or very close to all the LHS here, its right around $11 a can, Hobby Lobby and the 40% off coupon is the way to go.

Edited by martinfan5