Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've got two hobbies models and guitars I was wondering who else has the same love for the guitar as I

Jeremy, I've got some real bad news for you: That guitar has been recalled and it could be dangerous, lethal even, if you so much as strum it. So you should pack it up and ship it to my address. That may sound unusual, but I'm handling the recall for Fender in this case. I'm glad we caught this one before disaster had a chance to strike!

Okay, that might not work. Anyway, I certainly share your love of guitar. I've had many over the years, some good, some great, some pretty crappy, but am now down to the two that can be seen in this photo:

IMG_0163.jpg

The acoustic in the background is a 1968 Gibson J-50 and the one I'm holding is a DeArmond X-145. In recent years I sold off all my electrics: two Fenders (Strat and Tele), another DeArmond (Starfire IV), and a Les Paul Standard, as well as my 1960 Fender Tremolux amp.

Haha Curtis I get it and completely understand it Is a truly difficult thing to learn I've had my strat for a few months now and my skills are defiantly improving , also very butiful guitars guys I'd loooove to get a Martin but there waaaaay to exspensive for me

GRM074-vi.jpg

The Acoustic Honer & the American Fender I still own. The others have all moved on….. The 8 string Schecter was a monster sound.

The_Twins003-vi.jpg

My Ibanez BTB's I just sold. 18V active electronics too hot for my style.

EBBass-vi.jpg

Being a huge fan of Jack Bruce from my childhood, I got a reproduction EB3-L. Mine is in Black, very rare.

CudaDistributorCorrosion001-vi.jpg

I also own a Warwick Double-buck Corvette.

51458426571163-vi.jpg

Horsepower is Gallien-Krueger 1001RB into a G-K SBX410. For big rooms, or outdoors, I add the Carvin single 18" for added depth.

On the left is my newest addition: Schecter Stiletto Stealth. On the right is my Hot Rodded P-bass hybrid that I'll NEVER sell.

I also use a Digi-tech Bass processor and a Volume pedal. I just added a Furman surge protector and a Korg digital tuner to my rack set-up. I also have a Line6 wireless unit that was having issues when these pictures were taken.

Yeah, Hot Rods…. Models….and Rock-n-Roll. It's like a lifetime of being 17 yrs. old…..

51458426571562-vi.jpg

I don't play (wish I could!), but back in the '80s I did artwork for the bodies of a series of custom Dean Z (Dean Zelinski) guitars. If you have one, it's probably a collector's item by now. B)

BTW... Dean is the guy who created the spinning fur guitars for ZZTop. :D

BTW II... back in the '80s when I first met Dean, his business partner (can't for the life of me remember his name) looked exactly like Rod Stewart! I mean even the blonde "just got out of bed" haircut and all.

BTW III... at the time Dean was married to a Playboy bunny, Again, met her, talked with her, can't remember her name.

Wow... so many parts of my life that are fading away... :(

I used to own an Ibanez RG350DX electric...... It was black with a Rosewood fret board. Had to sell it when I needed some quick cash. Now the only guitar I have is an old acoustic that stands in the corner for decoration............

guitarpic_zps0bdb2f01.jpg

Here's my acoustic, all dressed for XMas..........

Edited by JollySipper

I used to play a little. I can't really do anything technical, and it doesn't really interest me that much anymore. We've got a bunch of guitars in the family, but the $40 Squier (yes, I knew it was garbage when I bought it) I had was the only one I owned. I traded it to my father for a built Ertl IH Transtar and a couple trailers.

Now I just play the organ. I've got a Lowrey 88 with the double manuals, full pedals, and a built-in Leslie speaker. Maybe when I get another organ, I'll tear the Leslie out of it and make a cabinet for it to stand alone.

I've got a Fender Precision Bass and a Fender Bassman 100 Amp. I was in many different bands from the 60's through early 2000 but I haven't played at all since I had several TIA's in June of 2000. I do miss playing but I realize that those days are long gone for me.

But the Beatles didn't use a Leslie for organ. They played guitar through it. A lot of their "trippy" songs included George and/or John recording their guitars through a Leslie. And of course, the real genius behind all of that studio trickery was producer George Martin, many times referred to as the "fifth Beatle." B)

(Really enjoyed that surf sound Mike_G)

I quit gigging 20 years ago but still play most days and this what I use at home now. I still have a Mesa Boogie from my band days but prefer these smaller amps at home. The black guitar is a 1982 Yamaha SBG1200 and the white one a Levinson Blade R2 from 1990. Both are great sounding guitars but I've just about worn out the neck on the Blade. The blue box on the Vox is a Digi-Tech JamMan looper which I use to create backing tracks - very simple to operate and great if you're playing on your own.

cf92b213-aee8-4877-a25c-1bd314a6f48b_zps

I'm terrible at playing but I like "stuff".

I love music but I am no where nearly dedicated enough to be any good... but I can collect and admire atleast. Here's what I got.

2013-03-29220343_zpsffb5f8bb.jpg

The jazz box is a mid/late 40's Gibson ES150 that my grandpa used to play back in the day. It has flat wound strings and a P90. it's a fantastic machine! The black guitar is my '11 or '12 (I cant remember now) Gibson Les Paul 60's tribute and it also has P90's and it's a growly rock machine. It used to have ivory plastic but I got rid of that stuff and bought black plastic. Looks a lot meaner. Used to look like this:

2012-08-05000853_zps39de6a2d.jpg

Also had it signed by Unknown Hinson!

IMG_431006579725191_zps4pmr53kw.jpeg

Then I have 2 Epiphone ET275's (the twin body guitars, sunburst and black) and some offbrand chinese guitar that my dad remembers saying he got it as a "kit" that you put together (guitar on the right)

2012-11-20221459_zpsa59ca096.jpg

Also have a Squire Bullet, which is essentialy a Stratocaster... and it's also a fantastic guitar, especially since it was free. I enjoy that one the most playing unplugged.

IMG_430651739393161_zpsnyw3rxvw.jpeg

And last but not least this monstrosity that I also got for free... a G.A. Pfretzschner aluminum standup bass...

20150306_232922_zpsxj3z9xvz.jpg

This was given to me by a friend who said it was in his garage when he moved in to his house 7 years ago. It's in pretty good shape and he has no idea how long it was in the garage before he moved in. He was moving out and asked if I wanted some stuff he had in his garage and this was part of what he gave me. So I took it home and another friend of mine and I cleaned it up a little and tuned it up, and I thoroughly enjoy playing this thing. I've never played a standup bass before, and I can't keep my hands off this thing. I've gotten pretty good at it too.

Edited by JTalmage

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question for you guys.......... I have a birthday in a couple of months and would like to gift myself a new or slightly used acoustic guitar.

What would be a good brand to be on the look-out for? I have a Trinity River now, and it's not worth the wood it's made from........  :rolleyes:

I have a quick question for you guys.......... I have a birthday in a couple of months and would like to gift myself a new or slightly used acoustic guitar.

What would be a good brand to be on the look-out for? I have a Trinity River now, and it's not worth the wood it's made from........  :rolleyes:

My current go-to is a Breedlove Acoustic/Electric 12-string; play it at church all the time.  My play-at-homes are an Alvarez Jumbo 12-string, an Ovation Custom Legend and a couple of Gibsons.  My advice:  don't go cheap, get the best you can afford.  Also, check out the instrument in person; don't order a $200 guitar online, you will likely be disappointed.