Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Elliot coors monogram multiple release?

Scalper

Hi guys. Scored a factory sealed kit on the left the one on the right got a whole ago. Both day 1984 on the box but one say grand national car and the urge super speedway car. And driver pic different. Do you know why monogram did this ?

image_zpss18dyu7e.jpg

Grand National was Nascars old name for what is now the Xfinity series (was Nationwide) when it was the Busch Grand Nationl Series. The other thing is the Cup cars where sponsored by Winston. Curios you could sell a beer sponsored car but not a cigarette sponsored series. It also appears the paintings themselves appear differently. My guess is the artwork was done in a reflective media such as watercolors or even oil and then photographed twice at slightly different angles. The cars appear identical as does the track but at slightly different angles, which is why I believe this. I have no guess why Elliot's picture is different.

NASCAR's top division, was originally called Grand National, it changed to "Cup" cars when Busch beer took over sponsorship of what was previously known as Late Model Sportsman cars, Winston took the Grand division and renamed it Winston Cup, the Grand National and Cup designation has remained through the different series sponsor changes that have occurred since then. The Super Speedway designation is for cars on 1.5 mile and larger track sizes, at that time they were cleaner aerodynamicly than the short track cars with tighter wheel openings, and all surfaces were sleeker and faired in to cut down drag and in the case of the Thunderbird the tops were even different in that from the factory there is a small filler piece along the top the C pillar to cover up a seam where there is a weld strip on the two panels, on the race cars they cut that overlap strip off and butt welded the two pieces together, narrowing the roof by about two inches. They were allowed to do this all the way into the 88 season when NASCAR started to enforce a rule that required the area to be full width and the teams had to start using fabricated metal strip to replace the factory plastic filler piece.

But in actuality all of the various stock car models from Revell/Monogram were all super speedway cars but were built with the ride height set to the pre race tech requirements, most people do adjust them to the lower heights to make them appear more like what people remember them looking like.

And BOTH tobacco and alcohol sponsors were added to a "non child friendly" list of things that manufacturers were prevented from selling to the general population, they had to be labeled as Adult Collectibles, this began being enforced in around 1986, after that the Winston decals disappeared from the NASCAR kits and Skoal decals were removed from the World Of Outlaws Sprint Cars kits. And the second release of sprint cars didn't have Coors, Coors Light, or Old Milwaukee as sponsor decals on the kits.

Edited by horsepower
edit out extra word

Some comparative pictures, there were 4 different versions of the box top for the Monogram Coors Thunderbird. Two Superspeedway and two Grand National. One Superspeedway has Melling on the box. There are three different pictures of Bill Elliott, one is shared on a Superspeedway and a Grand National box. I have all four in a box somewhere and only one is sealed and they are worth considerably less than what I paid for them. Also, there may be other tops, but these were the only ones I was aware of.

Grand%20National%201_zpscritkf4q.jpgGrand%20National%202_zps5eiunowj.jpgSuperspeedway%202_zpstgithq9o.jpgSuperspeedway%201_zps0usjrfu4.jpg

Edited by THarrison351