Model Cars Magazine Forum

The old MPC / AMT 1928 Model A Ford, was it really that good ?

Steve, the windshield pillars are very thick, and the '28-'29 hood fits the cowl well. What this says to me is that somebody grafted the '28-'29 cowl to the front of, as you suspect, the Revell '30-'31 shell...and sanded off the signature '28-'29 coach-lines from the sides. Look inside the body. The Revell shell had opening doors, so see if they've been glued shut. Your model has '28-'29 fenders. AHA! Your model also has the opening rear door of the '31 Revell body shell.

195002-13360-57.jpg?nr=1204&company=reve

Somebody with limited funds but needing a 'truck', maybe during the Great Depression, surely could have done a similar conversion in reality.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Actually, I think it was pretty simple wny those frames were molded as they were, indeed the chassis for all those Annual Series 3in1 kits! For those of us who have now reached "Seasoned Citizen" status, we were KIDS back then--some of us were teenagers by 1960 (Your's Truly included), but behind us were a number of years of much younger hands coming into this hobby, and they weren't all that ready, nor enamored with such as "every single part should be a separate piece" mindset we have as adults. So,model kits of all sorts back then, if they were going to sell in large numbers, develop a popularity for their manufacturers, simply were "simplified" to meet the primary age group then building.

It's one of those things where, if you are under say, age 50 or so, you might not really quite grasp that.

Art

Also I think the all in one chassis would have also held up better to being played with rolling it around on the floor.

Steve, the windshield pillars are very thick, and the '28-'29 hood fits the cowl well. What this says to me is that somebody grafted the '28-'29 cowl to the front of, as you suspect, the Revell '30-'31 shell...and sanded off the signature '28-'29 coach-lines from the sides. Look inside the body. The Revell shell had opening doors, so see if they've been glued shut. Your model has '28-'29 fenders. AHA! Your model also has the opening rear door of the '31 Revell body shell.

195002-13360-57.jpg?nr=1204&company=reve

Somebody with limited funds but needing a 'truck', maybe during the Great Depression, surely could have done a similar conversion in reality.

OK, just went and pulled it apart. Separate doors, Revell S.D. for sure. BUT,, I can't see any evidence of surgery inside the cowl. There's a prominent "KI" cast in there though. The hood and rad are AMT as the hood is 1 piece. I think the firewall is AMT too. Maybe they glued on the firewall and sanded a puttied the rest up to look like a '29 maybe??

Also, the fender unit has the braces molded to the underside of the running boards, the Revell '29 pickup I'm working on right now is smooth in this area suggesting this is AMT ,, but the fenders seem to be separate from each side,, I have no idea what I'm looking at with these parts. Rear cross pieces cut out to accommodate the Revell S.D. floor maybe?

The frame is separate with metal axels, AMT, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Can-Con

• 5 years later...
On 7/13/2015 at 5:27 PM, Art Anderson said:

On my MPC Tooling inventory sheets (given me in the short 6 months that I was an RC2 employee back in 2004), the '28 Tudor tooling sections ARE listed in it.

Maybe 2021 will bring good news regarding the '28 Sedan, or at least the 1929 Ford Woody/Pickup version, which hasn't been reissued since...2001?

773471547_s-l1600(2).jpg.226fc5dd9f7a710a8d86b296d1fcb6fc.jpg

Well, i just scored an original issue woody/pickup combo, so I'm sure Round2 will announce it now.

The pickup/woody would make a cool retro release, especially if they included the Hot Curl figure again. Throw some cool pad printed tires and decals in the mix and some retro box art and I'd buy another. Just please, never issue those hamburger meat snow tires again.

I'd love to see the 28 sedan back too.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Just please, never issue those hamburger meat snow tires again.

Also please, issue it in WHITE plastic!  I have an MPC '29 Woody-only kit. No Hot Curl, stock only with no rod parts, molded in black plastic.  According to the box it originally came with paint and a brush inside, which were long gone by the time I bought it.  That's probably a good thing.  It was cheap, because the driver's side of the hood is "short-shot" and missing some plastic.  If I ever build it, it will probably be a semi-junker.  Weathering and sun-blasting all that wood should be a fun project.

mpc_29-1.jpg

On 12/15/2020 at 10:35 AM, Mike999 said:

Also please, issue it in WHITE plastic!  I have an MPC '29 Woody-only kit. No Hot Curl, stock only with no rod parts, molded in black plastic.  According to the box it originally came with paint and a brush inside, which were long gone by the time I bought it.  That's probably a good thing.  It was cheap, because the driver's side of the hood is "short-shot" and missing some plastic.  If I ever build it, it will probably be a semi-junker.  Weathering and sun-blasting all that wood should be a fun project.

mpc_29-1.jpg

E9A61630-77AD-4A55-87F8-CE441D5D5848.jpeg.41d99670849fe149f8e08ae62a0eca5b.jpeg

You could always just play with it! Here’s one with the body shortened to fit on Monogram Green Hornet chassis 

On 12/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

The pickup/woody would make a cool retro release, especially if they included the Hot Curl figure again.

I wonder if the Hot Curl figure is gone for good, but it would be neat to see it return with a reissue if possible.

Round2 tossed out the idea (and maybe went even further, as the issued each a distinct kit number) of reissuing the Hot Curl, Curl's Girl, Hot Shot, etc. larger, stand alone figures in 2012, but it seems public interest was tepid at best:

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I wonder if the Hot Curl figure is gone for good, but it would be neat to see it return with a reissue if possible.

Round2 tossed out the idea (and maybe went even further, as the issued each a distinct kit number) of reissuing the Hot Curl, Curl's Girl, Hot Shot, etc. larger, stand alone figures in 2012, but it seems public interest was tepid at best:

I remember that. Some people were bummed when they didn't materialize, but note enough interest I guess.

I've never had an intact 1st issue woody/pickup kit with the parts on the trees to know where the Hot Curl parts are located and if they're just welded closed or replaced by new parts. But looking at the pic below my guess would be they're just welded off. 

I know Round2 has spent money to bring back cool stuff before (go cart, soap box racer, mini bikes, etc) but I don't know if there would be return on investment for this quirky little item.

If anyone has these parts in their stash I'd take them off your hands. I have ideas.

On 12/15/2020 at 5:14 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Just please, never issue those hamburger meat snow tires again.

ALL of those horrid AMT Goodyear Rally GT's tyres need to die a swift death ! Soooooo many 70's and 80's AMT kits were saddled with those "Blah-Blah-Blah" tyres ---- and now , the 1/16 Scale AMT '55 Chevy , '57 Chevy , '56 [?] Thunderbird , and , I'm sure , '55 and '57 Nomad kits have those "Blah..." tyres for the custom build versions ! ARRRGGGG ! 

Toss the tooling for those tyres into the Sea of China or the East River or the Flint River or where-ever , PLEASE !  They should never see the light-of-day again ! 

I , too , would love to see that Model A ( Model B ? It has the 4 cylinder... ) sedan and pickup kit return (again , new custom-version tyres , PLEASE ) . 

I'm not particularly into , say , pre-1946 vehicles (there are exceptions , of course) , but I do dig on that 3-in-1 '29 Woodie / Pickup kit something awful . 

Should the Hot Curl figure make a return , that would be icing on the cake ! (but , a surfer with a gut ? None too many of those around --- at least that I've encountered in my 50 years of living in the 'Surf Capital') .

16 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

ALL of those horrid AMT Goodyear Rally GT's tyres need to die a swift death ! Soooooo many 70's and 80's AMT kits were saddled with those "Blah-Blah-Blah" tyres ---- and now , the 1/16 Scale AMT '55 Chevy , '57 Chevy , '56 [?] Thunderbird , and , I'm sure , '55 and '57 Nomad kits have those "Blah..." tyres for the custom build versions ! ARRRGGGG ! 

Toss the tooling for those tyres into the Sea of China or the East River or the Flint River or where-ever , PLEASE !  They should never see the light-of-day again ! 

They are horrible on a street car but they look pretty nice on a slower class dirt-track racer.  A little bit of sanding to remove some of the flash and give them a worn look.

1vkDK3W.jpg

8 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

AMT Rally GT's ]  are horrible on a street car but they look pretty nice on a slower class dirt-track racer.  A little bit of sanding to remove some of the flash and give them a worn look.

I'm inclined to agree --- great looking Dirt Track car ! Otherwise , easily thee ugliest tyres I've ever seen . I'd take the terrible two-piece tyres from 70's AMT and Revell kits over them any day ( haha ) !

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 7:14 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Well, i just scored an original issue woody/pickup combo, so I'm sure Round2 will announce it now.

?

AMT 1269 - AMT 1929 Ford Woody Pickup

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

hahahaha, of course they did.

Thanks, we owe you one. ?

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Here's hoping the Hot Curl comes back

I'd be happy with that, and the surfboard...and would it be too much to hope for the skateboard, too?

MPC1929FordSWorPU5-vi.jpg.a7d4b65b4fd3181c9dbb4ce4ba607967.jpg

Edited by Casey