Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaaaag XK120- Gentleman's Racer! Paint and Engine Update 7/26

jaymcminn

For my newest build, I've decided to take on the Revell Germany Jaguar XK120. For those not familiar with this kit, it was originally issued by Monogram in 1979 as one of their metal-body kits, in the same series as the '56 Thunderbird, MG TC, and '53 Corvette. While the others were re-released almost immediately with plastic bodies after the metal kits tanked, the Jag languished in obscurity until Revell Germany reissued it with the plastic body in the late '90s.

Anybody who has built the T'bird or 'Vette will be familiar with the way this kit goes together... lots of nicely-molded surface detail, but a relatively low parts count and oversimplification in many areas. One of the nice features of the Jag kit is the set of Brooklands windscreens that allow for building a racing version, as well as the ability to leave off the fender skirts. The plan is to build a mid-fifties gentleman's racer... something that you'd drive to and from the track as well as on it.

The body on this kit, while really well-proportioned, suffered from terrible seams and sink marks.

P1040618_zpssroh2qrx.jpg

P1040619_zpssgmkxjys.jpg

After sanding down the seams and filling the sink marks, I rescribed the panel lines and added welting between the rear fenders and body. I also filled the holes for the bumpers both front and rear. The hood took a lot of sanding and filling with styrene stock to get it to fit properly as well. I added a pin at the front of the hood to hold it in position better... otherwise it has a tendency to slide forward. Here's the body just before primer...P1040628_zpsod7gonxo.jpg

P1040629_zpsrwcfln5r.jpg

The hood fit isn't perfect, but it actually matches pretty well with the size of the panel lines in the body. Plus the hood fit on the real cars was actually pretty atrocious too.

Next up is paint and primer!

Edited by jaymcminn

I've been working on the same kit with same idea as a sport racer. I have added several details so far,including different wheels and have the body in primer. I need to get back to it, been stalled for a while. Looking forward to seeing how your build comes out.

As you say, it's a nice kit, very well proportioned. Looks right. Interested in seeing your take on it here.

I have a metal one I bought as a built-up, doing a dry-lakes sports car with it. Very heavy casting lines on it too, but it cleans up nicely and looks just like bare metal. Imagine that.

Here's a review from a few years back. As I recall, Harry also built a very nice version. I have the metal body kit, which looks very good but challenging, and I wonder if the windscreen isn't a bit too tall. I would probably opt for the race version as well.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8566

Edited by sjordan2

You very rarely see these built up. That hood fit puts a lot of builders off (I've had this kit for years... never felt like dealing with that issue until now!) And I do agree that the stock windshield looks a little tall.

I've decided on a color combo...the primary color will be Tamiya Racing White (a light ivory color) with a British Racing Green stripe. Wheels will be wires from the Tamiya Jaguar Mark II also painted in the Racing Green. Interior will be biscuit hide over brown carpet. I've already made a start on modifying a set of spare Monogram Cobra bucket seats to represent early Jaguar racing buckets. I'm not going to go nuts with chassis or engine detail here... the engine is pretty nice, if simplified, and should respond well to paint detail and some basic wiring and plumbing.

• 2 weeks later...

So I lied about primer and paint being next... on to the interior! The 1:1 I based my interior from is an early alloy-bodied car, but it's my favorite color combo/specification. Here it is...

49-Jaguar-XK120-DV_13-GCA_i05_zps7hniray

First, I had to remove the kit bench seat from the floorboards with my trusty X-Acto saw. The rear part of the cockpit floor is styrene.

P1040641_zpsup9uisur.jpg

Seats are Monogram Cobra units, heavily customized. I smoothed out the tuck-n-roll and added scratchbuilt seat cushions with wire piping...

P1040624_zps3i0psqxp.jpg

P1040640_zpsznctocoz.jpg

I replicated the leather using Testors Wood acrylic with a wash of the same color with white added in and topped off with Micro Satin clear. The flash really overemphasizes the effect... it's much more subtle in person.

P1040642_zpsvehnse3k.jpg

Here you can see the carpeted seat backs done in dark brown flocking.

P1040645_zps3dhd65ql.jpg

The floorpan after flocking and welting is added...

P1040651_zpsggjf8a0y.jpg

The welting at the front right looks a little wonky because the CA broke loose. It's since been fixed.

For the dash, I drilled out the holes for the instruments and mounted the decals behind clear acetate. I didn't trust the badly-yellowed decals. Again, the flash really overemphasizes the grain of the "leather".

P1040646_zpstfmujc7u.jpg

Finally, the interior side panels, with a preview of the primary body color...

P1040649_zpsd69ycgkc.jpg

Next up, the motor!

Good work you have going on there, will be following this one I also have this same kit in my stash and almost started on it a short time back but could not get away from the plastic addiction ? 

Has the owner of a XJ6 it is nice to see a Jaguar in the WIP section ?

Will be rooting you along doing a Good Job keep it up ?

Cheers XJ6?