Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell customer service vs. Round 2's

I was missing and needed a couple parts for my recent Revell Surfite. Went to Revell's website and easily ordered the missing parts. No hassle. And less then a week later, I got the parts and can continue working of the kit. This was a great experience. Thanks, Revell!

About a week before, I went on Round 2's website. I need a propeller for my recent AMT Hindenburg build. Even though it's not a car, I broke one taking it the local model car club meeting a few months ago. I requested a new one from Round 2. I got an email back telling me I've got to print out, fill out, and mail them back their form, with proof of purchase, the UPC code from the box, to get the part. What??? Why the hassle? True it's not really a big hassle. But, in this day and age one should be able to do this quickly and easily, like Revell does it, on the web.

I have printed off Round 2's form. Printed up a envelope. But, I've not filled it out or mailed the form back to Round 2 yet. And their request for the UPC code. I'm sorry, but I am not cutting up any of my model kit boxes. Even though the Hindenburg will not fit back in it now that it's finished. They're just going to have to trust me, that I recently purchased and built the kit.

I love Round 2's reissued kits. I grew up with many of these kits. Owned some, and lusted after others back in day. I am delighted to see many them back on the shelves. Now I can afford to purchase many of them again and some of the others for the first time. I love their old kits. But, I do not like their old fashion customer service. I will not stop buying their kits because of it. But, I'm not happy about it. And do not understand it.

Kudos to Revell and their customer service. This is the way it should be done. Again, thank you Revell.

Scott

I like Revell's customer service too. I also need a part for Round 2 model it looks like hassle to me and you may have to pay for shipping.

Bruce

Edited by brw

I think its got to do with whoever is handling the issue,I can't speak for Round II but with Revell I had a few issues with kits,first was with the "Snap" Peterbilt , the chrome was a mess one email on the website and had the replacement parts within a week but a few months ago the local model club my daughter and I look soooooooooooooo forward to go to had a "Club Build" and picked the 'cuda and I went to the local hobby shop and purchased 2 of the kits,one for Baby Girl n one for me and upon opening them found the A pillar was badly bent/warped and the second one was even worse so I took some pics and sent the request and two weeks later I get a response that they needed more info and must be mailed in with the form which I did and finally about 3 weeks ago I get two new bodies......needless to say I ain't gonna get this thing don't by August deadline.....but the good news is they did make it right......

Edited by Badluck 13

Another vote for Revell's customer service. Outstanding in my opinion. A few months back I purchased one of their new, simplified assembly pre-painted ZL1 Camaros. Inside the box, it had the wrong chassis. One email to Revell, they simply said " We're sorry the wrong chassis was inserted in your kit. We'll fix that straight away". A week or so later, the correct chassis was in my hands no questions asked. That's what I call customer service. I've had no experience with Round 2's customer service however.

Before it was round 2 Ertl had a 800 number to call them about a problem, They didn't just send the part you needed but the whole kit.!

That sounds odd at first but it may well have been easier>cheaper to do it that way...at least when postage was cheaper?

I have had one Revell situation back 2 or 3 years ago re. their hemi dart. my phone call to their rep proved a hassle, and they sent me the wrong parts needed after a couple of emails and more long winded conversations. frankly, I have never had a moment for Revell anyway, regardless of the kits the masses rave about,,,and seeing the mess they still make of so many of their cars, my service problem with them solidifies for me that their stuff will rarely if ever grace anything in my pile...ROUND2 all the way, thank you......the ace.... <_<

If I read all this right, You say you were compensated missing parts from Revell. That's good service.

You say you asked RC2 for a part you broke. Well, might have to jump through a hoop or two. Did you offer to pay for it? At what point does a company's responsibility to the end user resolve itself? I think you're lucky they would even consider replacing your broken part. IMHO.

Comparing apples and oranges, at least to me.

I've employed Revell's customer service / parts replacement services twice in the last 8 years :

1.) Needed new 'glass' for a 1969 Dart GTS that I bought from eBay . I emphasised that I wasn't asking for free parts ; I told them (via email) to bill me / charge me for replacements , yet I was never charged . They sent me "replacement" parts for an out-of-production , 2nd-party-purchase kit , gratis !

2.) I bought the 1955 F-100 kit from the LHS , factory-sealled . The grill was missing from its runner on the chrome tree , just no trace of it ever being there . I followed Revell's protocol to the letter , and within a week a free replacement was at my door !

I've not had to employ Round2's customer service . I have emailed them on a number of occasions and have received prompt responces , regarding product proposals / inquiries .

I can understand the trepidation regarding "blind faith" replacements . Conversely , I also understand the consumers' stance .

Before it was round 2 Ertl had a 800 number to call them about a problem, They didn't just send the part you needed but the whole kit.!

Had that happen to me in the nineties. Bought a Ford 3-pack (57 T-bird, 57 Fairlane, 63 Galaxie), the roof for the 57 Fairlane was totally folded up, obviously packed when it was still hot. Wrote them a letter and ended up receiving a whole separate 57 Fairlane kit. Figured they sent the whole kit because they needed that size box just to send the body anyway.

...You say you asked RC2 for a part you broke...

RC2 was Racing Champions, they're out of the picture now. Round 2 is a different company (although with a confusingly similar name).

I have not had to get anything from Round 2, but the one time I had to get a body (badly warped) from Revell it was not an issue and they had it to me before the time promised. I think that's as good as anyone can expect from a company.

I've dealt with Both Companies.

Revell has provided parts to me Gratis for two or three kits that were missing.

I've even gotten parts for an RoG (Revell of Germany) kit. Took 9 weeks for them to arrive, but then the Revell website states clearly the RoG parts can take 6-8 weeks to ship. I was not worried at all.

I've sent the Barcodes from the bottom of Round2 boxes and gotten the parts I requested quickly.

I've also printed out the "replacement parts" form and mailed Round2 a Money Order for extra decal sheets and parts.

I pay the listed prices for the extras as posted on the website, and have gotten the same excellent service.

I don't mind paying for the privilege of buying a decal sheet for a kit that I already have an older version of, and just want the updated sheet.

I completely understand the Barcode thing. On a kit where I did not want to cut up the box, I just paid for the parts myself.

But others may feel differently than I do.

Alan

Ive been drag racing remote control cars since the late 90s. At the time, there wasnt many companies catering to drag cars, so 99% of the cars are scratch built. The only company at the time that offered drag chassis was New Era, but they are too heavy to be competitive. They made a great lexan body for their dragsters, and refused to sell them to anyone that didnt have their chassis with their serial number on it. So if you wanted a body, you needed to own a chassis. One guy had the car, and would order the bodies for us. After ordering 6 or 7 bodies from them, they come him off......

Now they dont exist anymore.

Ive been drag racing remote control cars since the late 90s. At the time, there wasnt many companies catering to drag cars, so 99% of the cars are scratch built. The only company at the time that offered drag chassis was New Era, but they are too heavy to be competitive. They made a great lexan body for their dragsters, and refused to sell them to anyone that didnt have their chassis with their serial number on it. So if you wanted a body, you needed to own a chassis. One guy had the car, and would order the bodies for us. After ordering 6 or 7 bodies from them, they cut him off......

Now they dont exist anymore.

Revell's awesome. Round 2 is good. Both are better than Academy. I had a 747/shuttle kit where the fuselage was short shot and a huge chunk of it was missing. I sent them the UPC off the box, the form with a description of the part, the number on the sprue and the kit#. After like a month, I got a box from them that was way too small. They sent the wrong part. :(

Edited by dmk

I requested a new one from Round 2. I got an email back telling me I've got to print out, fill out, and mail them back their form, with proof of purchase, the UPC code from the box, to get the part. What??? Why the hassle? True it's not really a big hassle. But, in this day and age one should be able to do this quickly and easily, like Revell does it, on the web.

Like everything, they have added a few steps because of one or two abusing the system. I suggest putting in a copy of the UPC should be sufficient if you don't want to cut up the box (they should know some of us collect the boxes too).