Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box art errors

I had an AMT Chevy Nova (1976?) that was releases in 2004 or something like that. Showed a stock looking car on the box but was a streetlegal drag car in the box.

EDIT:

I belive it was this one:

$_12.JPG

Sold it not very long after I bought it because I was dissapointed that I could not build a stock version.

That's the one! Just finished building that kit a few weeks ago. I was aware of what was in the box when I got it, though. Had an original issue of it when I was a kid, so I knew what I was in for.

Anybody remember the MPC/AMT '69 Charger with dog dish caps on the cover?

amt38015.JPG

With this, the stock '76 Nova gaffe, and any number of AMT boxcover cars from that period also showing wiring and plumbing in the engine bay, I halfway wondered if some of the boxtop-building regulars phoned in a few already-built cars when AMT needed something for the latest reissue. Turnaround time and compensation on those were usually so miserable, you could hardly blame 'em...

Anybody remember the MPC/AMT '69 Charger with dog dish caps on the cover?

amt38015.JPG

With this, the stock '76 Nova gaffe, and any number of AMT boxcover cars from that period also showing wiring and plumbing in the engine bay, I halfway wondered if some of the boxtop-building regulars phoned in a few already-built cars when AMT needed something for the latest reissue. Turnaround time and compensation on those were usually so miserable, you could hardly blame 'em...

This one made me mad,i even wrote to rc2 about this kit not having the dog dish hub caps and red line tires in the kit all got was

Sorry!

I have a AMT 1973 mustang kit with a great picture of the louvered back window. No louvers!! Found out the 1971 kit (which doesn't show the louvers), has it in that kit. Was not about to buy a second kit just to get this piece. Was pre-round2(a few years ago). Still need the louvers. Richard.

typos were not just limited to box art, some were even apparent in point of purchase displays:

2zrD9M.jpg

there are errors on a couple of other stands I have and while these are reproductions, I understand the originals contain the same errors.

and it doesn't have to be vintage either...

h2V8Jp.jpg

oh the first problem is "Interier" and the second "Comptetion".

jb

No pictures but the AMT 39/40 Ford Tudor had one reissue where it was proudly called a 39/40 Coupe. I believe there was a Reveloogram Top Fuel rail that announced that it was the season champion when the season wasn't over yet - can't remeber the details - Amato maybe?

The one I have never seen mentioned anywhere, however, is the green and white box art for the MPC Fire Tuck show rod. No matter how hard I look there is no evidence of a frame rail in the engine bay - radius rods are there, engine is there, but nothing to hold the front of the car to the back of the car!

Cheers

Alan

The problem with that Monogram "Yellow Jacket" was that Monogram's marketing people called it a "roadster" which it is not, never has been (NOBODY has yet done a 1/24-1/25 scale '30-'31 Model A roadster!), but a modified reissue of their 1930 Model A Cabriolet.

Art

to me a "roadster" has always been a car without an integrated windscreen and with no roll up windows. certainly qualifies under that definition.

jb

Edited by jbwelda
what the heck? i am typing this into a box called "Reason for edit" that appears to be a required field. meanwhile i do not see anywhere to actually edit my post. is this a new "feature"?

The Ormsby car always saddens me. Gary wont the championship in 1989 in a classic battle with Garlits. Gary died of cancer just prior to the Nationals in 1991. He was one of the last innovators in drag racing.

Then there is this one..

DSCF1256_zps31abcc86.jpg

Exiting 4wd Track..   ..Datsun Track..

Then again, I don't really want to be too hard on these people - english as a second language and everything, back in the eighties to boot.

That said, although I don't have a picture of it (you have to believe me on this), the recent Revell offering of this same truck, the Datsun off road pickup has a honest  typo on the side panel of the box. There the truck is called a "Datstun". Can somebody please verify?

Hi William,

In regards to the roadster v cabriolet issue, Art is correct but I can see where you are coming from.

The Yellow Jacket is built from a cabriolet body but gives the impression of being a roadster by virtue of leaving off the cabriolet body parts north of the waistline.

I have a Yellow Jacket and it definitely looks like a roadster but if there ever was a model of a 1930 Model A roadster you would see that the doors are longer and the cockpit is longer.  As a result the back of the body drops down quicker than a roadster body and the beaver panel is shorter as the trunk lid is slid down to match.

I drive a real Model A roadster and have some coupe quarter panels (same as cabriolet) in my garage and the differences are not obvious from a distance but very evident when side by side.

Hope that helps

Alan

Edited by alan barton
Correct spelling

That said, although I don't have a picture of it (you have to believe me on this), the recent Revell offering of this same truck, the Datsun off road pickup has a honest  typo on the side panel of the box. There the truck is called a "Datstun". Can somebody please verify?

I can verify, but I don't have a picture at the moment.