Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1962 Mopar annuals - possible that tooling still exists?

On one of the Fasebook goups there are people talking about the Revell 1962 Mopar annual tooling. They say the tooling exists and could be re-issued except they do not have the mold for the tires.

Can anyone here confirm or refute this?

I know these models were only fair by 1962 standards but the subject matter is so cool.

Thanks.

It was briefly discussed on this thread; the Chrysler Newport needs more - like the glass?:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101766

The most viable might be the '62 Plymouth; they could tool a new, detailed chassis and engine to make a Max Wedge dragstrip burner. With the Jo-Han '62 Fury molds gone (or very AWOL at least) they wouldn't have any competition.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

WHAT IF ?

What if Revell still has the tooling to do these two 1962 Dodge and Plymouth kits .

012-13.jpg

And they reissued them in modern plastic instead of the clear metal flake plastic .

First they would have to get license and permission to do the project before it even starts . In todays market that license would be costly where as in 1962 the auto company's were coming to the model company's to have them make scale models of their products. That's going to add to the price of the kit up front .

THEN Revell decides to go forward with the project after paying for permission to use Chryslers product . Revell decides not to send these vintage tools to China but instead sets up an injection shop in the U.S.A. - labor cost is going to be a lot higher ,

THEN it is a straight reissue of the 1962 tooling - Would most modelers be willing to pay $50.00 for a 1962 quality Revell Chrysler product ? (it is made in the U.S.A. after all ) With all of their soft details from back then .

What if Revell decided to re tool the inter fenders and chassis to our modern standards which will add to the cost OR we know when buying one of these nostalgic reissues that we need to spend another $20.00 plus for a Lindberg kit to make it to our standards - Either way we as consumers are going to pay for the up grades one way or another .

Besides that - the 1962 Dodge Dart is a four door and those seem to enrage some folks :rolleyes:

Then think that those kits sold for $1.49 in 1962

010-21.jpg

Edited by von Zipper

Besides that - the 1962 Dodge Dart is a four door and those seem to enrage some folks...

The Dart body got hacked to be used in the Revellion funny car kit. Check it out:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=88319

Actually, aside from the big old hole cut into the trunk lid, they didn't bother doing much else to the body, it appears. Seems like the side trim and even the front fender badge remained. Still had all the door seams, too. (Unlike the AMT Nova wagon body, which was smoothed to create the similar "Boss Nova" funny car.)

I'd say there's no chance of them bothering to return the Dart to stock. Wouldn't be surprised if they still have the tool for the body and reissue the Revellion at some point, though.

Don't know of them butchering any of the other Mopar '62 annual tools.

Revell decides not to send these vintage tools to China but instead sets up an injection shop in the U.S.A. - labor cost is going to be a lot higher ,

THEN it is a straight reissue of the 1962 tooling - Would most modelers be willing to pay $50.00 for a 1962 quality Revell Chrysler product ? (it is made in the U.S.A. after all ) With all of their soft details from back then .

Revell still molds some things here in the US, they already have the capability and these products don't cost any higher than the others.

• 4 years later...
On 7/14/2015 at 10:04 PM, Carmak said:

On one of the Fasebook goups there are people talking about the Revell 1962 Mopar annual tooling. They say the tooling exists and could be re-issued except they do not have the mold for the tires.

Now that the molds have (presumably, assuming one or more still exist) passed on to Atlantis, has anyone contacted Atlantis to find out if they still exist? The Dodge Dart 400 sedan body was significantly modified to create the Revellion, so that's not coming back, but the other five??

689925362_Revell1962_Page_26-960.jpg.369d8fd8e58c9b35f2014e4cbd75e480.jpg

Who would buy these except the lunatic fringe?  I don;t think they have the drawing power for sales to have Revell replace the missing tools.  

BTW I would definitely buy the Lancer to build the Dragmaster "Golden Lancer" A/FX car , the Plymouth to build as an S/SA car and the Valiant as I had that kit at one time.  I'm sure Tom Geiger would be in for at least a case of Valiants too!!

30 minutes ago, boss 302 mustang said:

Who would buy these except the lunatic fringe?  I don;t think they have the drawing power for sales to have Revell replace the missing tools.  

I'm not in the lunatic fringe; but, I would buy them. I have the Revell MetalFlake Plymouth Fury and Dodge Dart kits. Both are decent kits and the bodies compare favorably, dimensionally and detail-wise, with the respective Johan Hardtops. Besides, I don't feel like paying big simoleons for Johan kits on the bay if I could get a reasonably priced alternative.. I plan on using the chassis/suspension, interior tubs and engines from the Lindberg Mopars, which BTW, fit the Revell bodies nicely; so, the less than spectacular underpinnings aren't a concern.

Edited by SfanGoch

about the '62 Mopar kits, there are several companies who re-release vintage kits in an attempt to sell nostalgia, these kits are just that nostalgia and people who buy such kits, in a way try to relive the moment  building a kit they had a a kid, happy non worrying times!

I'm sure if the tooling is usable, plastic will flow through the old gates, to form something which is bigger then it really is.

Luc

On 10/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I remember talking with Bill Laskowich many years ago and he said the tools for the Valiant and Lancer tools existed but were missing something... I don’t remember if it was the clear parts mold or the tire mold. 

I was always told clear and tires molds. The tires were unique to the 62 Mopars. 

It's more about if Atlantis would fix or replace any missing or damaged tooling. I am sure they would be willing to mold up stuff that would require the least of amount of money to put back on the shelves. 

If they can re-release the B-25 and B-24, which are pretty bad by today's standards, I don't see why they would not do these, if they are not too bad. 

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm not in the lunatic fringe; but, I would buy them... I plan on using the chassis/suspension, interior tubs and engines from the Lindberg Mopars, which BTW, fit the Revell bodies nicely; so, the less than spectacular underpinnings aren't a concern.

24 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'd buy a Lancer kit.  Of course, some people would say that building models when you're an adult already puts you in the lunatic fringe.

I'm a lunatic, no question. Have my card to prove it, too. And I'd certainly buy these things to do just exactly what Mr. Goch referenced.

6 hours ago, boss 302 mustang said:

BTW I would definitely buy the Lancer to build the Dragmaster "Golden Lancer" A/FX car , the Plymouth to build as an S/SA car and the Valiant as I had that kit at one time.  I'm sure Tom Geiger would be in for at least a case of Valiants too!!

There's really no reason not to re-pop them if the molds are salvageable.

The vast majority of the work has already been done.

It's really no different than re-issuing something like the AMT '63 Impala over and over again.

Some of these Revell Mopars would no doubt be a better bet than the '63 Impala........which everybody already has in one form or another.

How many of us have a 1962 Dodge Lancer in his collection?

A lot of us would buy them just because it's something new and different.

Steve

7 hours ago, boss 302 mustang said:

I have no interest in the A-Bodies, but would probably buy at least a few of the '62 Fury, then one or two of each of the '62 Dart and the C-Barges. I am the one who has a few L-Body Charger and G-Body Daytona kits laying around too though, so I'm definately would be considered solidly Lunatic Fringe to for many Mopar people, let alone those who aren't.

I'd like a Lancer (or first gen Valiant) kit precisely because they're not like everything like everything else.  In fact, I'm far more likely to buy one of those than the '63 Impala that was recently reissued.

On one of the automotive websites, the running joke is that the readers' ideal car is a brown diesel station wagon with a stick shift.   I guess the ideal MCM model would be a '63 Impala.  AMT promo based kit, of course, because what's underneath is not important.  No reissues, first issue purchased off eBay only, and finished like the one their father owned, or like the one they had in high school.

Seriously, it's your time, you build whatever makes you happy, even if it is a '63 Impala.  Sometimes, though, you just want something different.