Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 1962 Mopar annuals - possible that tooling still exists?

Why not issue them as an adult modeler targeted item, for the serious model builder, with only the parts they have? It would be no different than buying any resin kit that requires a "completer", except it should be cheaper (hopefully) and it would be styrene! I'd buy that Newport in a heartbeat, as well as a few Imperials, and work out the details for myself. I guess I'm saying that I'd rather have what they've got than have nothing at all, and I'd bet some of you would too.

I agree with you, Rusty, but that idea will sadly never happen. These kits could never be sold 'retail' in that condition, and there aren't enough of us "In-the-Know" types to makes the numbers needed to produce even partial, "Finish-it-Yourself" kits, economically feasible.  But Boy do I wish we could somehow make it happen!!

Atlantis reworked the clear parts mold for the B-24J; so, it wouldn't be totally out of the question for new glass. That said, what concrete evidence, other than the standard "I heard it from somebody"-type gossip, is there that these glass molds are actually missing? Ron and Pete aren't tyros in the business and know that these kits, if they do actually have the molds, would sell well if produced. Johan kits aren't going to be reproduced, making these attractive alternatives for those modelers wishing to add to their collection of all things Mopar.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, paul alflen said:

Dave Burkett of Model King fame put up the money to retool the glass for the 1959 Imperial pre-Round 2. I'm  sure Atlantis wouldn't mind him fronting the money to retool the glass and/or tires for the 62 Revell kit molds ( that Atlantis has). It would be a win-win situation for both companies!!!!! What do you say Model King, how about it???

I wonder if Dave in the past contacted Revell for such a deal, and maybe passed due to the lack of return on investment.

Edited by Luc Janssens

The 59 Imperial had a cloned chrome tree. 

Model King right now is vested in the Moebius product line. R2 and Revell have stopped their private issue kits and not sure to what degree Atlantis is open to this type venture.  Contact Pete if you have the cash!!!

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The 59 Imperial had a cloned chrome tree. 

Model King right now is vested in the Moebius product line. R2 and Revell have stopped their private issue kits and not sure to what degree Atlantis is open to this type venture.  Contact Pete if you have the cash!!!

So they have the tooling?

11 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I wonder if Dave in the past contacted Revell for such a deal, and maybe passed due to the lack of return on investment.

In the past I loaned my mint glass tree from the 62 Newport to Dave Burkett.  Several months (perhaps a year) passed and no 62 Newport, then one morning I checked the mail and there was a tiny box with my glass still in mint shape.  No explanation, no "thanks for the fish", just my glass.  What happened?  I dunno.

19 hours ago, Deano said:

In the past I loaned my mint glass tree from the 62 Newport to Dave Burkett.  Several months (perhaps a year) passed and no 62 Newport, then one morning I checked the mail and there was a tiny box with my glass still in mint shape.  No explanation, no "thanks for the fish", just my glass.  What happened?  I dunno.

Then the glass war probably not the problem cost wise

Here's a look at a 1/25 Revell '62 Dodge Dart 440 Hardtop Sedan from an eBay listing. The second and final images help explain why the underside (frame/floorpan section of the unibody) was heavily compromised, due to allowing for motorization.

Revell62Dart4401.jpg.6af10ba2539f401d5bf60d1d75098c37.jpg

Revell62Dart4407.jpg.440681d4ae22d75cd8e3d6a4c33755f8.jpg

Revell62Dart4402.thumb.jpg.90210db0034f2cf1facd82e7635a8d0b.jpg

Revell62Dart4404.jpg.79bb95a1951eb0a1963f3ac8418d1f5d.jpg

Revell62Dart4405.jpg.a26d116c69345e10087cef84709b5b89.jpg

Revell62Dart4403.jpg.b1b2b2b5b68271c61e9062a31489556c.jpg

Revell62Dart4406.jpg.2b69ebf1be66fc187266bc325a2c5be9.jpg