Model Cars Magazine Forum

Poor Poor Pitiful Swap Meet '66 Mustang

Snake45

How about cutting those shapes from Evergreen styrene sheet that replicates small-scale metal roofing/siding? Paint with Alcad and flow a dark red wash into the grooves?

My first inclination was to recommend the custom taillight pieces from the AMT 66 Thunderbird, cut to fit, but they only have about half as many horizontal strips; larger and further apart.

I can't help but think I've seen a similar pattern in the custom parts from an old AMT 3-in-1 kit...but which one?  Maybe 65 Lincoln, or 66 Buick Wildcat, or the custom grille from the 72 Chevy pickup??  Just throwin' out possibilities - most of my kits are in storage for now, and I can't verify anything, just workin' fron memory!

How about cutting those shapes from Evergreen styrene sheet that replicates small-scale metal roofing/siding? Paint with Alcad and flow a dark red wash into the grooves?

My first inclination was to recommend the custom taillight pieces from the AMT 66 Thunderbird, cut to fit, but they only have about half as many horizontal strips; larger and further apart.

I can't help but think I've seen a similar pattern in the custom parts from an old AMT 3-in-1 kit...but which one?  Maybe 65 Lincoln, or 66 Buick Wildcat, or the custom grille from the 72 Chevy pickup??  Just throwin' out possibilities - most of my kits are in storage for now, and I can't verify anything, just workin' fron memory!

All good ideas and I appreciate the support. B)

I bought a sheet of Evergreen that was the closest thing possible. The lines are grooves, not raised, and they're too far apart. Might be able to use it on something, sometime, but prolly not this. I might try to scratchbuild the thing using sheet styrene and very small Evergreen rod, if I can figger out how to glue it on with uniform-enough spacing. 

I'm also thinking of scratching up a pair of those solid-block red plastic taillights out of styrene. I always thought those were pretty cool back in the day. 

The AMT 58 Chevy has a tube grille you may be able to modify.

I have one of those in the stash, will take a look--thanks!

The original annual AMT '66 Mustang HT/Conv annual had a similar custom piece in it. I have a mint unbuilt kit, but hesitate to steal that part out of it for such a humble, "Snake-slap together" project.