Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tire decals not sticking and disintegrate with clear coat.

I have some tires from a Monogram kit that I sanded down the goodyear raised lettering and tried to apply some decals from Mikes Decals. They went on easy but after letting them dry over night they just fell right off. I put them back on with some water and applied a coat of Krylon acrylic clear coat and they disintegrated in seconds leaving a white mushy mess.

How do I get these decals to stick, it looks like I need something called Micro sol or Micro set, if so which one? And does the tire need to be perfectly smooth cause right now it has a bit of a rough finish.

I have some tires from a Monogram kit that I sanded down the goodyear raised lettering and tried to apply some decals from Mikes Decals. They went on easy but after letting them dry over night they just fell right off. I put them back on with some water and applied a coat of Krylon acrylic clear coat and they disintegrated in seconds leaving a white mushy mess.

How do I get these decals to stick, it looks like I need something called Micro sol or Micro set, if so which one? And does the tire need to be perfectly smooth cause right now it has a bit of a rough finish.

I have used Mike's tire decals with excellent success! However, this particular problem has happened to me when I left the decals in the water too long, and the adhesive just floated away into the water. I now generally use room temp water and no more than 30 seconds fully submerged. Then, I take them out and check to see if they have loosened up. If they are easy to move around, I place them on the item.

Also, if you have a really rough dry surface after removing the raised letters, try to get them nice and smooth by using finer and finer grits, almost as if you're polishing them. If you still have a problem, you can brush on a coat of acrylic clear gloss, and then apply the decals. Hope this helps!

I have used Mike's tire decals with excellent success! However, this particular problem has happened to me when I left the decals in the water too long, and the adhesive just floated away into the water. I now generally use room temp water and no more than 30 seconds fully submerged. Then, I take them out and check to see if they have loosened up. If they are easy to move around, I place them on the item.

Also, if you have a really rough dry surface after removing the raised letters, try to get them nice and smooth by using finer and finer grits, almost as if you're polishing them. If you still have a problem, you can brush on a coat of acrylic clear gloss, and then apply the decals. Hope this helps!

I did pretty much what you said, decals in water for no more than 15 seconds or so, slide right off but wouldn't stick. Any idea why the clear coat made them disintegrate?