Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moulded in trim

I assume you mean the "chrome" trim?

Some people carefully scrape it off with an exacto knife....

.I use sandpaper..slower but safer, no risk of gouging the plastic.

Cheers. I'm thinking maybe I out masking tape around the stuff I don't want damaged and use sand paper. Yes, it's the chrome trim along the doors and side panels. The real one I'm modelling doesn't have it.

Ben

Hi.. yeah masking tape should work, there are some tight areas around the side trim. I haven't used them but some people use sanding sticks which I assume allow you to focus your sanding efforts better.

I like the dechromed early Bug look, I have one like that planned for my Tamiya VW.

Something to watch out for is "ghosting" (I believe it's called). This is where the image of what you removed comes back after painting.

You have to prep it after removing the trim, door handles, whatever it is you are removing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Russ

Something to watch out for is "ghosting" (I believe it's called). This is where the image of what you removed comes back after painting.

You have to prep it after removing the trim, door handles, whatever it is you are removing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Russ

You are correct, Russ.

What happens is when the trim (or emblem) is cut into the mold, there can be a small ridge in the mold (surrounding the trim/emblem) as a result.

Bearing in mind the plastic part is the "mirror" of the mold, the trim/emblem will be raised on the plastic but there will be a depression surrounding it. Removing the trim/emblem will still leave the depression, but putty will remedy that.

Back to the original topic...do some looking on woodworking sites for scrapers. I use my woodworking scrapers on my plastic models often. Get a straight-edge scraper, use the masking tape mentioned earlier, and scrape (not cut/sand) the offending trim/emblem away. On a curved surface (such as horizontal trim on a door) be careful you don't scrape too deep, thus leaving a flat area on a curved surface.

You are correct, Russ.

What happens is when the trim (or emblem) is cut into the mold, there can be a small ridge in the mold (surrounding the trim/emblem) as a result.

Bearing in mind the plastic part is the "mirror" of the mold, the trim/emblem will be raised on the plastic but there will be a depression surrounding it. Removing the trim/emblem will still leave the depression, but putty will remedy that.

Back to the original topic...do some looking on woodworking sites for scrapers. I use my woodworking scrapers on my plastic models often. Get a straight-edge scraper, use the masking tape mentioned earlier, and scrape (not cut/sand) the offending trim/emblem away. On a curved surface (such as horizontal trim on a door) be careful you don't scrape too deep, thus leaving a flat area on a curved surface.

Cheers fellas. I'll look into it. I've got some woodworking tools.