Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 plymouth gasser small update 0616/17

vc273

Hi been working on this for a while now and have it in mock up stage, just trying to decide if I will use the blue steel rims or the five spoke rims on the rear. Have installed a supercharged and injected 426 hemi that still needs finishing off topped of with the scoop from the 33 willys panel gasser. Used the wheelie bar set up from the willys kit aswell with a few mods. Painted in duplicolor diamond white and used part box decals that I had then clear coated.Made up my own roll cage and going to modify front bench seat for shift clearance. Still deciding whether to use the original head lights or to put blanks in. Still a way to go and will update as I go along. Any comments welcolme, cheers and thanks for looking.

20150716_125011_zpselbacglx.jpg

20150716_125151_zpsgb1v3lzk.jpg

20150716_125039_zps0oqaxck1.jpg

20150716_125024_zpsmnbixalp.jpg

20150716_125002_zpsisrjf5ex.jpg

20150716_125105_zps2vwbl4fj.jpg

Edited by vc273
update

personally, the blue steelies look great on this car...i'd go with them....one other thing, being this gasser is of that early to mid sixties theme, I would loose the Hamburger oil pan decal from the fender. that decal is dated more from the early 80s era and up.....just a thought...the ace.... B)

Another great build!! I have a question about the headlight buckets on this kit. I'm building that same kit right now, and the back edges of the headlights don't seem to fit flush with the fender curve. Is that just a kit issue? I know that the headlights are molded with offsets for right and left hand sides, but I was wondering if you ran into the same issue. B)

Hi Steve,

Well I think this is a real cool number.  I like it.  The steelies out back seem to look better imho.  This car should remain within it's time era, again imho. Maybe the late 50's?

About the fitment of the rear wheels, look here.  Real photo from back in the day.  The Gentleman's 1st new car.  He was not quite 20 yrs.;

Steve, a good job and very interesting and well built.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Hi thanks for all your comments. Have made a few changes to the front changing the front headlamps for some parts box items. Think it gives it a better look and have detailed the rear slicks for it. Have decided to stick with the blue rims but unfortunately when gluing the rim backings on the outer rim section broke into a few pieces but have found replacements in the way of the ramchargers dodge 330 rear rims. Not as deep but think they will do the job and have them in the oven cleaner stripping the chrome. Cheers and thanks for looking.

20150720_190620_zpslslwpqgg.jpg

20150720_191036_zpsx6cloj32.jpg

Edited by vc273
update

Great looking car! I'm planning for a similar car using the 426 wedge from the Tony Nancy car. Not to nitpick, but FYI gasser rules prohibited jacked up front ends! Yep, the car was supposed to be level. Many think they were way up there because of pics under power, 90/10 shocks WILL raise up the front.

Not a big deal, just some trivia. Again, VERY COOL!!!! Something different!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi havent been able to get much done lately but have finished off the rear rims and detailed the slicks. Hope to have some updates soon. Gary was more level but ended up changing the rear slicks and had smaller front tyres hence it ended up being a bit higher than I had hoped but didnt want to strip the the front end off. Cheers and thanks for looking

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b589/vc273v8/41%20plymouth/20150723_105200_zpsbby9mpi1.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b589/vc273v8/41%20plymouth/20150723_105141_zps99muuyyg.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b589/vc273v8/41%20plymouth/20150723_105120_zpskihcfaxn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi started this build back up again, need to get some of my stalled projects finished. Started work on the interior and originally I had the stock bench in the front but it just didn't look right. Searching the parts box found these buckets, think they are out of the amt willys coupe pickup kit. Needed to scratch build some bases for them as they didn't have any and although you can only see a bit of them I think they will work. Also modified the dash to accept a gauge cluster and found the old school tacho in the parts box. Swapped out the steering column for some styrene and found a steering wheel from the parts box that better suited the build. Hope to have some paint on it in the next couple of days. Cheers and thanks for looking. Any comments welcome

photo 20160601_191057_zpsnica4g2n.jpg

photo 20160601_191014_zpsln7hvfxo.jpg

photo 20160601_191002_zpsuatqp5if.jpg