Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dave Puhl`s Illusion

Howard Cohen

A few years ago I bought several built models from a collection. I didn`t buy everything but I did buy several models of show cars, many of which were scratchbuilt in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I may bring them to the Toledo NNL this year, just to show what other people build. I will show a different model every once in a while :) 

This is the Illusion, a model of the 1:1 car built by Dave Puhl many decades ago. It is completely scratchbuilt. Although it is not a museum piece nor a contest winner, it is unique being that it is scratchbuilt and may be the only one of it`s kind. If you are wondering about buying it, I have had two different people offer me money and I still have the model :) 

Dave-puhl-illusion4.jpg

Dave Puhl Illusion 002.jpg

Dave Puhl Illusion 001.jpg

Hey Bigdrag - my friends live in civilization, not Cambellford :) Now go to the cheese outlet and have an ice cream :) 

This, and others, came from a collection about 4 years ago. Some of them are in the Showrods Models book. :) 

Edited by Howard Cohen

'That door fit' was not uncommon in the earlier days of radical custom modeling.  It's one of the ways you can easily identify an original, period-built model as opposed to a more contemporary model.   

I'm not sure why it happened that way so much, but it seems to me it was a matter of style over substance.  Just as most of those early radical customs paid no attention to practicality or real-world function, I guess the builders just didn't concentrate much on details such as oversized or exaggerated door frames, misfitting components, etc.  They were just seeking swoopy and wild forms. 

Later, as more perfection-oriented builders raised the bar ~ even within the radical customs genre ~ these kinds of faux pas faded into oblivion.