Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello from Alabama

Hey folks, I'm Jeff.

When I was a young boy, building model cars was a favorite hobby. My Grandmother worked at the local Woolworths, and when Id go visit her, I can remember prowling the model car section looking for something cool to build on my weekends at her house. I recall piling all my stuff  on her dining room table and tearing into it. Favorite childhood memories right there.

I'm much (much) older now and just starting to rediscover the hobby. Since not even touching a model kit in 30+ years, Im amazed at the advances that have been made in the hobby. The level of skill. The tools and equipment available. I'm ready to tear back into it.  LIke I said, it's been right at 35 years since my last model, and I cant wait to get started. The first thing I have to do is finish work on my shop. I do a lot of leather and wood crafting, and IM in the process of dividing that shop in half to better suit my rekindled obsession with plastic models. Its coming along and I should be set up before the end of summer. I stopped in here just to look around and found a whole fountain of knowledge, which only stoked my addiction even more. I may have to pile back up on the dining room table, just to scratch the itch.

Anyway. Glad to be here. Thanks for having me.  

Edited by bamafan

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I took the same kind of break .. and did leather carving in the meantime too ... and all the things I wanted as a kid .. kits, tools, paint  ...all that stuff is available now ... it's a good time to get back to it!  :)

Welcome to the forum and back to the hobby! I took the same kind of break .. and did leather carving in the meantime too ... and all the things I wanted as a kid .. kits, tools, paint  ...all that stuff is available now ... it's a good time to get back to it!  :)

Thanks Foxer. I was over at a friends house back in the spring, and we were digging around in an old shed on his place and we found some of his old models, boxed up, from back in the 70's :) It was like a time capsule lol MAN I felt old lol. But it really lit a fire under me. Like I said, Im trying to get this shop remodeled and what not, I want to have everything set up right, so Im not sprawled out on the dining room table like back in the day. Grammie was a lot more understanding than the wife is lol. I can remember, no matter how careful I was, I always managed to get paint on her table cloth lol. Anyway. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the welcome. 

Welcome Jeff and roll tide.....

Thanks Slusher ROLL TIDE ! 

Welcome Jeff!

I know how it feels to be a Ripp Van Winkle of the hobby!  I gave up stamp collecting for the most part around 1980.  Recently I found a board and am amazed at all the things that happened and changed in that hobby in the last 35 years as well.  

Thanks Foxer. I was over at a friends house back in the spring, and we were digging around in an old shed on his place and we found some of his old models, boxed up, from back in the 70's :) It was like a time capsule lol MAN I felt old lol. But it really lit a fire under me. Like I said, Im trying to get this shop remodeled and what not, I want to have everything set up right, so Im not sprawled out on the dining room table like back in the day. Grammie was a lot more understanding than the wife is lol. I can remember, no matter how careful I was, I always managed to get paint on her table cloth lol. Anyway. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the welcome. 

It is really worth it to get a shop set up. Once I retired I set up in the basement with  work table, paint booth and photo area. All my kits are behind me on metal shelves and I'm slowly getting working tools and supplies organized .. slowly. Some things just found their natural place but others I put where I think at first and sometimes find a more useful spot as I use them.

It is really worth it to get a shop set up. Once I retired I set up in the basement with  work table, paint booth and photo area. All my kits are behind me on metal shelves and I'm slowly getting working tools and supplies organized .. slowly. Some things just found their natural place but others I put where I think at first and sometimes find a more useful spot as I use them.

The shop I have set up right now is pulling double duty as leathercraft and wood working. I'm walling in 1/3 of the 12x28 metal building, giving me a 10x12 area for my leather work, and now plastic modeling. I can keep it clean of  sawdust and what not and make it a little more climate controlled. Plus, it gets me out of the house and serves as a man cave kinda thing, after work or whatever, I can go out there and find inner peace lol.  

Edited by bamafan

Dude, you're only about twenty miles from me! I grew up in Prattville. Now living in Wetumpka.Welcome to the forums! The members here are extremely helpful. Several have helped answer questions I had with great enthusiasm. I hope to see some of your projects in the near future!