Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 379 and Timpte Super Hopper

Well, I am calling this one close enough to done. It has been over a year in the making. The only kit parts I used were the frame, axles, and cab from a Revell 359 snap kit. Each of those were heavily modified as well. Everything else was scratch built including the rims and tires.

012_zpsorn9una1.jpg

010_zpsosqaocjc.jpg

009_zps43taw7a9.jpg

008_zpsd7yyvx1j.jpg

005_zpsbosxjjph.jpg

Very nice top marks. How did you go about making the wheels?

Thanks! For the rims and tires, I drew them in 3D cad and had them 3D printed. Then I made molds and cast each rim in resin and each tire in urethane rubber. The tread pattern is different for the different tires. I made steer tires, drive tires, and trailer tires. For the rims I made oval hole rims for the Pete, and round hole alcoas for the trailer.

Great looking combo KJ, look forward to seeing the combo in person at the shows this fall.

Thanks Tom! I am hoping that this one will make it to Fulton this year. It will depend on how quickly the guy that it was built for wants it on his shelf.

Those wheels/tyres look a lot better than kit parts . Very realistic

Thanks!  I now have made a lot of the parts that were mastered for this build available through my website: http://kdhumphr.wix.com/double-take-replicashttp://kdhumphr.wix.com/double-take-replicas

Kj, Very nice work on the truck and trailer. Lots of work done. Looks really nice. Are you going to put a plexiglass

cover over it?

Ken.B)

Thanks! Yeah, I have a plexiglass cover for it, I just left it off for the pictures.

Now, that looks seriously awesome behind that Pete....Funny....I saw a Brand New Timpte trailer on my way home.....I would have snapped a pic, but we were on curving exit ramp.....He went one way and I went the other.....I, immediately thought of this build....It was also pulled by a Pete 379.....This thing looks so good....Very nice work....