Model Cars Magazine Forum

I finally finished the Mobieus/Model King 1969 Ford F100 Pickup.

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20026_

I did this one to represent what I would have bought back in the day if I had the funds. I like them shiny, with all of the available chrome, but not necessarily the top of the line truck.

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20024_

This one is the Custom Cab in Royal Maroon, Black interior, with the Bright Body Side Moulding Package, Whitewall Tires, Mag Styled Wheel Covers, Aftermarket Below Eye Line Swingaway Mirrors,  Painted Rear Step Bumper, Class III Trailer Hitch, and...

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20033_

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20034_

Ta Daaaa!!!!!! A Special ordered 428 Cobra Jet V8 Engine, mated to a C-6 Automatic Transmission, and a Traction Lock Rear Axle with 3.70 Gears, for that extra ooomph.

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20025_

To be frank, I read the reviews and looked at the other builds on this kit. Some of comments, I agreed with, and I made corrections where I could. Some I have to take with a grain of salt, as the comments, while true, could not be corrected in a timely basis, and again to be frank were not worth it to me. Sure, I would have preferred the headlamp doors to be 1/16" narrower on each side, and the grille wider to compensate, as well as other little things. The plusses with this kit far outweigh the minuses, and I did not let the minuses stop me from the enjoyment I got from building this kit.

The kit went together easy, but there were a couple of pitfalls during the build. I tend to pre-build my models in assemblies to check the fit, as well as for a uniform paint job. One thing I did was to install the windshield prior to painting.  Big mistake, as once it is installed, it will not come out easily, as it is a tight friction fit.  I had to tape it off, before I primered and painted the model. even with that, I enjoyed this build, and I am quite proud of it.

I did not do a thread on this one in the "Under Construction" Section, so I will spell out the things I did on this one.

On the bed, the rear finned lower mouldings were missing, so I scratch built them.

Inside of the bed, there are some unsightly feed tabs, which would have taken a while to eliminate through sanding and filling. I had some smooth brass sheet that fit perfectly, once I cut them to length, and that saved a lot of time.

The Paint is Tamiya Maroon Lacquer, which is a close match to Ford's Royal Maroon.

The wheel trim is from Missing Link Resin, which is the '68/69 Ford Mag Wheel Covers, which I corrected the centers, detail painted, and cut down to fit the kit's wheels.

The tires had the whitewall added with a gel pen.

The Trailer Hitch is a Resin Item from Scenes Unlimited, fitted to the truck.

The 428 Cobra Jet/C-6 Transmission Combination is from the AMT '69 Cougar Kit. I notched the Oil Pan, and it fell right in. The Air Cleaner came from an AMT '66 Ford Mustang.

I think this is a fine model kit, in spite of the negative commentary. Thank You Mobieus, and Thank You Dave Burkett for this version of the kit.

And before anyone can ask for it, The Excellent Dog-Dish hubcaps, and the 6 Cylinder engine have a home in a Future Ford Econoline Cargo Van Project (Plumber's or Electrician's Truck)

Love it Ron! Those wheelcovers really dress things up!

I missed you at the meeting. Just thinking like you Bill!!!!  Thanks for the comments.

I didn't go in to work today for overtime.......wanted a weekend with nowhere to go, and try to get this Mustang done hopefully before months end! Finally! :D

and you even drilled the stake pockets ...

great looking project, Ron  B)

mike

Thanks. I forgot to mention that. I have seen so many of them over the years, and there is a F250 a few miles from my house. A silver blue Ranger. I might get a closer look at it, as I may do a build of it.

Thanks for the comments!

That looks awesome Ron, great colour choice and those mag wheelcovers look very "period", they look very similar to the wheels in the Revell 65 Chevelle and the Lindberg 66 Chevelle kits I wonder if they could be used too ?.

That looks awesome Ron, great colour choice and those mag wheelcovers look very "period", they look very similar to the wheels in the Revell 65 Chevelle and the Lindberg 66 Chevelle kits I wonder if they could be used too ?.

The three sets of "Mag Look" wheelcovers were different between the manufacturers in the one-to-one world, in that the spoke shape and depth were different, as well as the centers. I did quite a lot of research on this matter, and I found that the wheelcovers in the Revell '65 Chevrolet Chevelle Z16 will work on the Chevrolet products from 1965 through 68, which had these covers as an option. 2010_07101966capricefinished0020.jpg

The wheelcovers in the Lindberg '66 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396 are wrong for Chevrolets, but will be accurate for 1968 Shelby GT350 and 500 Mustangs, and 1966-1968 Plymouths and Dodges.2005_1204Dec2005Projects0001.jpg

The wheelcover I used was from Missing Link Resin, which were originally from a MPC Jeepster, which I modified the centers by removing the lip, and giving it a very slight concave and were cut down to fit the Mobieus' kit Steelies. I used the same cover on a '69 XL Convertible I did a few years back 

Mamameetingjuly212012027.jpg

Yes I tend to "count rivets", but it is your model. The others can be used if that is your choice, as they are very close.

Ron

The three sets of "Mag Look" wheelcovers were different between the manufacturers in the one-to-one world, in that the spoke shape and depth were different, as well as the centers. I did quite a lot of research on this matter, and I found that the wheelcovers in the Revell '65 Chevrolet Chevelle Z16 will work on the Chevrolet products from 1965 through 68, which had these covers as an option. 2010_07101966capricefinished0020.jpg

The wheelcovers in the Lindberg '66 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396 are wrong for Chevrolets, but will be accurate for 1968 Shelby GT350 and 500 Mustangs, and 1966-1968 Plymouths and Dodges.2005_1204Dec2005Projects0001.jpg

The wheelcover I used was from Missing Link Resin, which were originally from a MPC Jeepster, which I modified the centers by removing the lip, and giving it a very slight concave and were cut down to fit the Mobieus' kit Steelies. I used the same cover on a '69 XL Convertible I did a few years back 

Mamameetingjuly212012027.jpg

Yes I tend to "count rivets", but it is your model. The others can be used if that is your choice, as they are very close.

Ron that's very interesting thanks for the Info, to be honest i would never have known, they look great on the pickup.