Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogam Untouchables

Guest midnightprowler

Yup.

I managed to work around mine, but Del's way would definitely make body painting easier.

In the background of this little group:

IMGP1823-vi.jpg

IMGP2590-vi.jpgIMGP2589-vi.jpgIMGP2591-vi.jpgIMGP2592-vi.jpg

That wood-grain is exquisite! Decal or really good painting?

Charlie Larkin

In actual factory practice, Ford painted all wooden floorboards black, on both sides.

The one in the Monogram Untouchables kit pictured on page 1 of this thread.

While I suspect that Monogram based the kit on their Phantom II Henley roadster, all I can find about the car you're describing is that it's a 1929 Springfield Phantom I Sport Phaeton (which would explain why Art insists the Monogram kit is a Phantom I). Google that description and check the chassis/engine against the kit. I bet it's a Phantom II engine in the kit. In any case, I don't have any reference for that or any Phantom I. 

While the Monogram classics look great, they also fudged big-time on their kits for the Mercedes 540k cabriolet and coupe. 

Edited by sjordan2

The one in the Monogram Untouchables kit pictured on page 1 of this thread.

While I suspect that Monogram based the kit on their Phantom II Henley roadster, all I can find about the car you're describing is that it's a 1929 Springfield Phantom I Sport Phaeton (which would explain why Art insists the Monogram kit is a Phantom I). Google that description and check the chassis/engine against the kit. I bet it's a Phantom II engine in the kit. In any case, I don't have any reference for that or any Phantom I. 

While the Monogram classics look great, they also fudged big-time on their kits for the Mercedes 540k cabriolet and coupe. 

Located not far from me is what I believe was the ACTUAL car that the Monogram kit was based on. It is indeed a Springfield-built Rolls and has been lovingly cared for by the same family for well over fifty years. It is, if nothing else, the same body and model that the Monogram kit depicts.

The car is kept in a the repair garage of a semi-retired gentleman and is kept covered and very clean. The maroon and black lacquer are about fifty years old, and still look as good as it did then. 

I'm going to see if I can get over there and take a few pictures.

Charlie Larkin

I have built both kits several times and they are among my favorites. The only real issue with t he Rolls kit that I know of is a somewhat challenging mating point of the body and front fender. I suggest gluing the body/fender assembly first then painting the assembly as a whole. I also find the fit of the hood/ radiator of that kit to be fiddly and has required some sanding/shimming to get right. Hope that helps!

I have built both kits several times and they are among my favorites. The only real issue with t he Rolls kit that I know of is a somewhat challenging mating point of the body and front fender. I suggest gluing the body/fender assembly first then painting the assembly as a whole. I also find the fit of the hood/ radiator of that kit to be fiddly and has required some sanding/shimming to get right. Hope that helps!

Good to know. I've got tons of Phantom II reference including LHD, and I've ordered the Henley Roadster so I can make a better analysis. 

good info, but would that not then pretty much mean single color body and fenders? Unless one likes masking. I don't, lol.

You really do a great job on 30s classics, Eric. I just received the Monogram Henley PII convertible version, apparently a first edition 1965 kit. For crispness and all-around nice touches, I'd rate it up there with Johan's original (not reissued) 1/25 Gold Cup series classics like their Mercedes 500 K  kits. This Rolls is head and shoulders above Monogram's Mercedes 540 K kits. 

Edited by sjordan2

I appreciate the feedback Skip.

A couple notes about the model I posted here. First, there were significant revisions to the fenders-the rears came off an MPC '28 Lincoln Phaeton kit if memory serves me correctly. I like how the wheels look on this one but to achieve this look I had to thin down every single spoke of all 6 wheels. It was very time consuming but worthwhile. If anyone is in the area, I encourage them to look over the '29 Rolls owned by the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. That car has been a major award winner in the past and is holding up very well. It serves as a very good reference for this model, even if you decide to go with different colors.

As I did for Art with his ICM 1915 Model T build up, if anyone has specific reference photo needs involving Full Classics and other pre-war cars, I can usually get them in just a few days. This would include the Rolls, Ford Model T's (early and late), Ford Model A's (any stock Model A you could imagine), Thomas Flyer, Duesenberg J's, Packards of the '30's, '40-48 Lincoln Continental, Mercedes 540 K, Cadillac 452, Pierce Arrow, and Lincoln Model L. All of these are sitting almost literally in my back yard so all I have to do is run over with my camera and presto, you have a reference photo. And...it is fun for me!