Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Tudor Sedan

Tommy Kortman

I built this for a friend. It is my first ever commission build. They just wanted something cool, and let me pick the subject and go to town. The top is chopped 2 scale inches (.080") using a step shop method. The front suspension is also dropped just a bit. I used a Model Car Garage P/E set for the grill and other details, and a Repl & Mini Co of Md. 2x4 intake, carbs , and air cleaners. Paint is Testors Nassau Blue. and Tamiya pure white.

100_7140.JPG

100_7141.JPG

100_7142.JPG

100_7144.JPG

100_7145.JPG

100_7146.JPG

100_7147.JPG

100_7148.JPG

100_7149.JPG

100_7150.JPG

100_7151.JPG

100_7155.JPG

100_7156.JPG

100_7158.JPG

100_7161.JPG

100_7162.JPG

100_7167.JPG

100_7175.JPG

Beautiful near-out-of-the-box Deuce Sedan! Love the color and the special touches like the dual quad setup with back to back Edelbrock style air cleaners. Clean work on the top choppin', too!

Isn't it awesome how the stepped chop method saves the roof insert detail and saves the step of stretching the roof? Where'd you learn of the method? Not too long back I did a '32 Sedan and posted a step-by-step write up on another forum. 

Isn't it awesome how the stepped chop method saves the roof insert detail and saves the step of stretching the roof? Where'd you learn of the method? Not too long back I did a '32 Sedan and posted a step-by-step write up on another forum. 

Dennis, Thanks for the kind words. I was on a forum (can't remember which) and somebody had posted a link to a Fotki page. There the page owner showed step by step in photos how to do the chop. It really was simple. The toughest part is getting the back of the car correct and making sure that during clean up, I was sanding the top level at the "C" pillars.

A very tastefully done Deuce Sedan. I really like the chop, stance and dual quad set-up. I am going to have to research the chop method you used as I do not think I have ever the term stepped chop before.

Thanks Phil. The "step" in the chop comes at the "A" and "B" pillars. Essentially you mark a line across the pillar. (Lets say you are taking 2" out) Then using the door opening as a break, instead of taking a straight 2" straight across, you take 1" below the line behind the door opening, and take 1" above the line in the door itself. This gives you your step. Using this method also allowed me to leave the rear window a little larger so it didn't look like a mail slot.

Extremely clean build, especially like the attention to detail, like the way of mounting the Lynx air cleaners so they flowed like a continuous element instead of just two air cleaners stuck on top of the carbs. 

Only thing I think I might have done differently was to turn the striping on the rear panel over to make the width of the rear window flow into the striping a little smoother.

Looks good. What kit was used?

It's the Revell 32 Ford Tudor Sedan.

Only thing I think I might have done differently was to turn the striping on the rear panel over to make the width of the rear window flow into the striping a little smoother.

That might not look too bad, but I wanted the make sure that since all of the pinstripe designs were similar in that there's a small point at the top of each one, I wouldn't want all but one to be oriented differently. Thanks for the kind words. It's appreciated, as is the constructive advice. I'm always looking for ways to improve the next build.

• 1 month later...