Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Zap-a-gap have a shelf life?

I feel like my green label bottle of Zap hasnt been performing as well lately. Usually it is almost instantaneous... especially on my fingers... and the past few days it seems lacking. I had to actually use clothes pins to hold my parts in place... which I never had to do before. So, just curious if the stuff goes "bad" after a while... thanks 

Edited by JTalmage
punctuation

CA glue simply absorbs moisture over time and thickens up. For example the extra-thin (very fast setting) glue will thicken up over time. It still works but it neither penetrates by the capillary action nor it sets as fast as it did when it was water-thin.  I still use it for when I need slower setting time or gap-filling ability.

I try to prolong its life by minimizing the time bottle remains open (so less moisture gets in the bottle).  I make a miniature disposable bowl from aluminum foil (about 3/8" in diameter) and I fill it with as much glue as I think I'll need for the building session.  Then I close the bottle tight. I then apply the glue using several different applicators I made from sawing needles.

I store my unopened bottles in the freezer until I am ready to use them.  Let them warm up to room temp. before opening them, or they will attract condensation.  (Really bad for CA)  I buy a bunch of the smaller bottles instead of a few of the larger bottles.  It costs a bit more, but it saves in the long run, because the bigger bottles never get used up before the glue turns into rocks!