Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you work on your semi truck models?

Hey Guys,

I am always curious about where you work on your models. So I will share some photos of my work benches  ( past and present) with you. And Hope you will do the same!

This is my workbench In The second to the last house I lived in .In the States. This is in the garage. I usually source all my hobby benches from used Office Furniture stores or bargain furniture stores.This particular work bench came with two large metal storage cabinets and a office chair. I paid a total of $300.00 for the lot. The storage cabinets today are at least $200.00 each. I donated the workbench to charity when I moved overseas.For the number of years that I had this unit.It served me well.

I will be posting more photos of different set ups later on.

Be Well

Gator

MVC-005S.thumb.JPG.ba87579b65c95c999f600MVC-013S.thumb.JPG.dbac4bf7df8a1d98e00fd

Edited by gatorincebu

For the past 21 years I've been using a spare bedroom for my den/hobby room and it's been workin' out great. I also do my reading and TV watching  in this room besides building models. I have all my tools in a desk drawer and can have them out or put away in 5 minutes or less. I'm having trouble posting pictures on this forum, so no pics at this time sorry.

I wish I had anything like this. My workbench is non-existent for most of the day. When I want to work on my model I have to collect my stuff and tool boxes around the writing desk in the living room and that´s where my models come to life. I do the paint job in the corner of the bathroom with the window open. Anytime I want to work I have to bring the stuff in and get it out when I finish. Cannot leave anythin on the desk overnight and block the others from using it. Crazy? Insane? Yes. But it´s reality.

Jarda

Pavel,

looks like you have plenty of natural light and a nice work surface. I like your sound system ! That is something I will be getting later on this year. For now I listen music on the laptop.It isn't the best sound quality but it works. And for when I want to be truly left alone to tinker I put on a set of headphones.

Be Well

Gator

Thanx gator. I used just sound systems from Pioneer. This is very very old maybe 13 years. The name is I think IS, you can see it also at the Fast and frious 1 ( when Brian comes with Dominic Torreto at his house from nightride where was destroyed Eclipse by Johny Tran).  But I must said right that I love silence. I'm chef du hotel... a make with people all day. Than better is silence and work...

Edited by Pavel A.

IMG_3761-vi.jpg

Here's my space!  My workbench is an old hollow core door wrapped in brown paper, that sits on two old night stands. The shelves hold my two small parts cabinets, and the blue boxes are all unfinished projects. My spray booth is behind me, you can see the vent hose that goes out the window in the right corner of the picture.  I do have a few more clip on lights than in this photo,  they all are plugged into one power strip to make it easier to turn  them on and off. I have a small tool chest (red and gray) on the left. I don't work directly on the bench surface, notice the board and glass.

I wish I had anything like this. My workbench is non-existent for most of the day. When I want to work on my model I have to collect my stuff and tool boxes around the writing desk in the living room and that´s where my models come to life. I do the paint job in the corner of the bathroom with the window open. Anytime I want to work I have to bring the stuff in and get it out when I finish. Cannot leave anythin on the desk overnight and block the others from using it. Crazy? Insane? Yes. But it´s reality.

Jarda

I, for one, am amazed at the quality of work you do with the limited amount of time and space you have to work with....I''m amazed....

IMG_2698_zpsnkenrssx.jpg

I work off an old cafeteria tray with a Christmas cookie tin as a parts box. I can work on the old oak desk my father gave me but its the computer desk and I get kicked off all the time. So I sit on the floor to build and take pics on the desk (better light). Always, Clean and ready!

Jonathan

i dont even have a desk or tray i have a piece of plywood and an open drawer so i do my best with as little as i can

Yes, I have seen your drawer with plywood and cutting mat. It's inventive and creative. Your work space may be limited but you don't appear to be. Your skill and work is great for any amount of space.

Jonathan

i dont even have a desk or tray i have a piece of plywood and an open drawer so i do my best with as little as i can

Yes, I have seen your drawer with plywood and cutting mat. It's inventive and creative. Your work space may be limited but you don't appear to be. Your skill and work is great for any amount of space.

Jonathan

wow thank you so much coming from you and almost everyone else i have seen on this site is just awesome most everyone i know just say that this hobby is a waste of time and money but when you guys say my work is good well it makes me want to try my best to do even better, you know, and to tell the truth i wish i could put some of the detail in my builds that you guys do most of my stuff is box stock, but yet again thank you so much

Hey Everyone,

I have been away for a couple of days. had to take care of some personal stuff. I want to thank everyone that has responded and or posted photos of their work spaces and their  model stashes . Like many of you I have worked in much smaller areas. And for my money the work space size does not make quality well built models. It is the person utilizing whatever space they have available.To all of you .Thanks for  building and posting your work and sharing your ideas!

I like  the work that all of you do!

be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

Hey Everyone,

I have been away for a couple of days. had to take care of some personal stuff. i want to thank everyone that has responded and or psted photos of their work spac es and their stash. Like many of you I have worked in much smaller areas. And for my money the work space size does not make quality well built models. It is the person utilizing whatever space they have available.To all of you .Thanks for  building and posting your work and sharing your ideas!

I like all of your work!

be Well

Gator

X2!

IMG_3761-vi.jpg

Speaking of working under adverse conditions, focus in on the worn out yellow board on my workbench.  Back in the day, I didn't have a model room but I managed to build my signature model on that board, on the kitchen table.  I was building on the board to protect the table. I was working every evening as I was building to a club contest deadline. And as such, I had to set up and break down every single time.  At night, I'd have to secure everything and put the board with my model on it up on top of the refrigerator, so my small children couldn't get at it.

The one thing it did was keep me working neat, since I had to clean up the clutter, plastic shavings and such every night to put the project away.  But I probably lost a half hour a day due to having to get it all out, set up my lights and in the end, tear it all down again!

But in the end I had built one of my best models.  I did that for a while, until I finished an addition to my old house that allowed me a model room.  And I've always kept that same board for sentimental reasons.  

Then again I know a guy who set up a wonderful modelroom. He even paid a carpenter to build a special workbench, and ya know... he never finished a model!  So if you are motivated, no matter where you have to work, you can do it!

Here are some pictures of my building space. When I was a young boy I had a small area,I mean real small area in the basement between the Mason canning jars and the boxes. I would sit down there for hours building my models. Once I was older I moved to a one bedroom apartment where I built models on a very small desk in the bed room. I got very used to working in the small spaces that I had. Now that I'm older I moved into a three bedroom townhouse where we had a spare room used as a guest room/model room. Well I have now taken over the room a got rid of the bed and repainted to get rid of the eggshell white. It's now painted Dale Earnhardt colors Gray with a red strip and a big black desk. I now call it my man cave. I also have a security guard that stands watch or sleeps out side the door when I build.

DSCN0190_zpsmlrkjsrp.jpg

DSCN0188_zpsckl5lpdg.jpg

Wall unit is from IKea.

DSCN0187_zpsuitanavp.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsr8u627ty.jpg

The security guard.

DSCN0011_zpsce0wwewl.jpg

Thanks, Ken.B)

Edited by Kenny B