Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where do you work on your semi truck models?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much just a cheap desk via from BJ's wholesale store and the matching chair but the desk shares space with a stereo and my vhf 2 mtr ham radio as well as a tv and some college books ... I don't have pics via no camera right now but will soon later once I move out of that one room apt. into a one bedroom or two bed apt.....

I don't have much just a cheap desk via from BJ's wholesale store and the matching chair but the desk shares space with a stereo and my vhf 2 mtr ham radio as well as a tv and some college books ... I don't have pics via no camera right now but will soon later once I move out of that one room apt. into a one bedroom or two bed apt.....

I have never bought anythnig new in the way of desks or shelving or cabinets for my hobby room. And like many I have had to adapt to the space available at the time.

In 1989 when my daughter left home, I moved the work bench from a 8X8 utility room. To her old bedroom.Which was about 9X11 with two windows. That was a big improvement.Considering my first truck model was built on the kitchen table in a one bedroom apt in 1970. I still have that model by the way.

So I don't think it really matters about where you build , just that you do and you enjoy the hobby and the sharing of ideas. I know I do.

my little area,

photo_zps7c65f198.jpg

small room, most of the rest of the room is covered in my stash.                    

Now that is a real nice work bench . And I would think you have a rather extensive stash of models as well.

thanks, that work bench is actually our old lunch table from work. they were going to toss it out when they remodeled our break room, so i grabbed it. 6ft long, 3ft deep, and i still only have the cutting mat worth of work room, lol.  and yes, my stash of stuff is out of control......

IMG_3761-vi.jpg

Speaking of working under adverse conditions, focus in on the worn out yellow board on my workbench.  Back in the day, I didn't have a model room but I managed to build my signature model on that board, on the kitchen table.  I was building on the board to protect the table. I was working every evening as I was building to a club contest deadline. And as such, I had to set up and break down every single time.  At night, I'd have to secure everything and put the board with my model on it up on top of the refrigerator, so my small children couldn't get at it.

The one thing it did was keep me working neat, since I had to clean up the clutter, plastic shavings and such every night to put the project away.  But I probably lost a half hour a day due to having to get it all out, set up my lights and in the end, tear it all down again!

But in the end I had built one of my best models.  I did that for a while, until I finished an addition to my old house that allowed me a model room.  And I've always kept that same board for sentimental reasons.  

Then again I know a guy who set up a wonderful modelroom. He even paid a carpenter to build a special workbench, and ya know... he never finished a model!  So if you are motivated, no matter where you have to work, you can do it!

That looks like a well thought out work area. I also like your background story.Again your story illustrates that you don't need a lot of space and tools to builds  good models and to have fun doing it.

As for the guy that paid to have a workbench built and never finished a model / maybe he just enjoys the solitude of sitting at the workbench.

I know there are times when I put on my headset and just kind stare at the bench and zone out to the music!

Here are some pictures of my building space. When I was a young boy I had a small area,I mean real small area in the basement between the Mason canning jars and the boxes. I would sit down there for hours building my models. Once I was older I moved to a one bedroom apartment where I built models on a very small desk in the bed room. I got very used to working in the small spaces that I had. Now that I'm older I moved into a three bedroom townhouse where we had a spare room used as a guest room/model room. Well I have now taken over the room a got rid of the bed and repainted to get rid of the eggshell white. It's now painted Dale Earnhardt colors Gray with a red strip and a big black desk. I now call it my man cave. I also have a security guard that stands watch or sleeps out side the door when I build.

DSCN0190_zpsmlrkjsrp.jpg

DSCN0188_zpsckl5lpdg.jpg

Wall unit is from IKea.

DSCN0187_zpsuitanavp.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsr8u627ty.jpg

The security guard.

DSCN0011_zpsce0wwewl.jpg

Thanks, Ken.B)

Now that is very impressive. I like it! Cool man cave!

Speaking of working under adverse conditions, focus in on the worn out yellow board on my workbench.  Back in the day, I didn't have a model room but I managed to build my signature model on that board, on the kitchen table.  I was building on the board to protect the table. I was working every evening as I was building to a club contest deadline. And as such, I had to set up and break down every single time.  At night, I'd have to secure everything and put the board with my model on it up on top of the refrigerator, so my small children couldn't get at it.

The one thing it did was keep me working neat, since I had to clean up the clutter, plastic shavings and such every night to put the project away.  But I probably lost a half hour a day due to having to get it all out, set up my lights and in the end, tear it all down again!

But in the end I had built one of my best models.  I did that for a while, until I finished an addition to my old house that allowed me a model room.  And I've always kept that same board for sentimental reasons.  

Then again I know a guy who set up a wonderful modelroom. He even paid a carpenter to build a special workbench, and ya know... he never finished a model!  So if

IMG_3761-vi.jpg

Then again I know a guy who set up a wonderful modelroom. He even paid a carpenter to build a special workbench, and ya know... he never finished a model!  So if you are motivated, no matter where you have to work, you can do it!

Here are some pictures of my building space. When I was a young boy I had a small area,I mean real small area in the basement between the Mason canning jars and the boxes. I would sit down there for hours building my models. Once I was older I moved to a one bedroom apartment where I built models on a very small desk in the bed room. I got very used to working in the small spaces that I had. Now that I'm older I moved into a three bedroom townhouse where we had a spare room used as a guest room/model room. Well I have now taken over the room a got rid of the bed and repainted to get rid of the eggshell white. It's now painted Dale Earnhardt colors Gray with a red strip and a big black desk. I now call it my man cave. I also have a security guard that stands watch or sleeps out side the door when I build.

DSCN0190_zpsmlrkjsrp.jpg

DSCN0188_zpsckl5lpdg.jpg

Wall unit is from IKea.

DSCN0187_zpsuitanavp.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsr8u627ty.jpg

The security guard.

DSCN0011_zpsce0wwewl.jpg

Thanks, Ken.B)

you are motivated, no matter where you have to work, you can do it!

Cool guard dog!

Just getting started set my model room up in the spare bedroom. (One of the birds flew the nest) The wife builds model horses so it's a joint venture. Real glad to see this thread to get some ideas on how to get set up I am fortunate to have a real good space to work with. Only problem I've had so far is I've always been an outdoors person so every time I look out the window if it's not raining I usually wind up outside working in the garden or heading to the beach!

image.jpg

Well you certainly have the room. Are you going to look into getting a desk or something else to work on? If you do I highly recommend checking out used office furniture.

Be Well

Gator

I'm so jealous of you guys that can have a dedicated area to work.....I still have to use the dining room table 100_0728_zps8e652c55.jpg

you may be building model on the kitchen table> But you are still building them. From the looks of that wrecker you do pretty well  on that  kitchen table.

Thanks for posting here..

Be well

Gator

Thanks Gator, The biggest problem with my area is having to pick up for meal times...lol

Yea I hear you on that point! It is a real P.I.T.A. And the more you move parts and the model itself.The more you risk losing parts  and or damaging the model. But hang on there.

I seriously doubt that any of us started out witha spectacular place to build models. The early 70's when I started to build the trucks I worked on the kitchen table.

Be well

Gator

shipguy1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This thread just reminded me of this old photo I had saved... yea, that guy's gonna be in a lotta trouble when his wife sees him working right on the table surface!  :o

I remember that picture. But that table is not just the kitchen table, it looks to me like the Formal Dining room table!!! Which we used all of two times a year Thanksgiving and Christmass!

But that picture is from much simpler times! We only had to worry about a possible Nuclear attack. And a car model cost $1.49 !

Be Well

gator

I remember that picture. But that table is not just the kitchen table, it looks to me like the Formal Dining room table!!! Which we used all of two times a year Thanksgiving and Christmas!

I have a dining room  like that.  Most unused room in the house!  

The picture was from an ad for some computer  maintenance software back in the 1980s...  the ad had two pictures, both with the clock at 7:30pm.  The second one was the same guy slaving at his computer at work... the premise was that if you bought their software, you could be having fun at home instead of working late!

Probably a little off topic because it is not quite a workbench but since an old photo appeared...

I got one too

4214987438_208b83f3ac_b_zps5yfhn5hy.jpg

Cannot imagine the situation unless the drinks are in the trailer. But I´d better leave the comments to you...

very cool

Off topic yes! Cool photo again yes!!

Be Well

Gator

Probably a little off topic because it is not quite a workbench but since an old photo appeared...

I got one too

4214987438_208b83f3ac_b_zps5yfhn5hy.jpg

Cannot imagine the situation unless the drinks are in the trailer. But I´d better leave the comments to you...

Is that JFK back in his model building days?

This is my work bench big enough for my projects and would like to start my unfinished projects soon. To finally star with my first coe project ford c 900 and trailer. 

P.S. I not forgot to send the photo Gator but there's always something to stop you (like moving)  that stop you for a while.IMG_20150806_180752.thumb.jpg.8184c5d34c

IMG_20150806_181025.jpg

IMG_20150806_181041.jpg

This is my work bench big enough for my projects and would like to start my unfinished projects soon. To finally star with my first coe project ford c 900 and trailer. 

P.S. I not forgot to send the photo Gator but there's always something to stop you (like moving)  that stop you for a while.IMG_20150806_180752.thumb.jpg.8184c5d34c

IMG_20150806_181025.jpg

IMG_20150806_181041.jpg

This boxes are my in built collection of tractor and trailers.

Well picture is very poor but that's what I have.....the coffee table....maybe someday I'll get a bigger space.

Rich

1439124188337.jpg

Well at least you are building models. The larger work place will come with time. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Be Well

Gator

Jesus,

I feel for you amigo.So when are you going to get those models unpacked and show them to us?

I know all too well the hazards of moving. In three years I moved 9,000 plus miles from Florida to the Philippines. And since then have moved house three times.

I am now finally getting things sorted and arranged the way I want them.Hope to be back at the workbench by the end of August.

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

I will be looking for those photos!

Be Well

I took some photos today but I'm not finish for now. Question would you like to me to put this photos here or open a new topic?  

Have a good day  

Jesus

Edited by Chu