Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slicks Size Comparison Charts?

Hi guys,

I like to scratch build drag racing cars from the 60's and 70's.  Since no specific kits are involved I need to use slicks from different kits, or from parts dealers.  Often the sizes are in inches, and fractions of inches in scale 1:25 is about impossible for me to decipher to the metric system.  I'm American, and I can relate to silly millimeters and centimeters much easier than imho silly inch fractions.  The metric system is so easy and useful.

I'm interested in starting a comparison chart for different slick sizes, but in metric system.

For instance, I have this so far in millimeters;

Slicks                                    Height            Tread Width                Comment

Resin, unknown                        31                      11,5                     Great gasser slick, wider than usual

AMT Gasser Slicks Pack          29,3                    10,7                    Fits under fender cars, good normal slick

AMT Tall Dragster Pack            33,9                    12,1                    tall tire, 15" wheel, not too wide

AMT Bantam Blast                    32,3                    16,5                    low tire, way too wide 

Revell 70's F/C                         30 - 31                12 - 14                nice tire, not over-sized, 15" wheel

Revell Mongoose FC               32,3                     14,9                     nice tire, good proportions, 15" wheel

Revell modern FC                    36                        17,5                     big tire!, 2 pc, lousy fit, 16" wheel

Would something like this be of interest?

Or is anyone willing to measure slick sizes in millimeters of the kits you've already built, or from dealers?

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

To convert inches to millimeters, divide by .03937

1.00" / .03937 = 25.40mm

To convert inches to centimeters, divide by .3937

1.00" / .3937 = 2.54cm

A quick fraction to decimal conversion.

1/8" = .125" = 3.17mm

1/4" = .250" = 6.34mm

3/8" = .375" = 9.52mm

1/2" = .500" = 12.70mm

5/8" = .625" = 15.87mm

3/4" = .750" = 19.05mm

7/8" = .875" = 22.22mm

1" = 1.000" = 25.40mm

Most American automotive components cover those dimensions. Fuel line, tire sizes, exhaust tubing, etc...unless it's close internal engine components

Edited by John Clutch

Thanks John, I'm familiar with how to do it.

I'm more interested in a chart showing the various sized slicks available for our 1:25 cars.

I just looked for instance at a renowned site and saw a nice slick at 1.31" diameter.

Do you guys have a caliper that shows 1.31 "?

Yes. I have calipers that read .001 and .0001, and there are digital calipers that read inch and millimeter. Very handy item.

I have always converted and it's second nature to me. But I have never seen a chart listing for slicks of any scale yet, but if I do, I'll pass it on.

I do. Doesn't everyone? Dial calipers are available under $30, and are an indispensable modeling tool.

Hmmm.  No. I must be the only one that doesn't.  Does your caliper show for instance what 1 1/32" equals to?  I'm just trying to get some sizing of different slicks for future reference.

@Dennis, that's a wonderful tool, thanks for showing!

So, back to topic. Guys, I think perhaps I haven't come across very well.  I'll try again.  Now that I know how to convert inch to metric, what about a chart for sizes of slicks available?

Is anyone willing to show a few sizes of good slicks they have used?

Edited by 10thumbs

All digital calipers, conversion programs and app's for your smartphone works with decimals, not fractions, so if you want to convert a measurement with fractions you have to convert the fraction to decimals first and then put it in the program.
More precise measurements for for example internal engine parts are also in decimals 0.1, 0.01 and 0.001 as fraction measurements are too imprecise, and 0.1" equals 2.54 mm, 0.01" equals 0,254 mm and 0.001" equals 0.0254 mm.

I do. Doesn't everyone? Dial calipers are available under $30, and are an indispensable modeling tool.

Hmmm...  Does your caliper show for instance what 1 1/32" equals to?  

Not exactly, but sorta. All my digital calipers have a button that switches the readout from decimal inches to metric and back. Very handy, as you can also use it as a simple conversion tool. And the prices can be as low as $15 here.

I'll give this topic one more try.  This is not about converting inches to millimeters.  But many thanks for all of the wonderful information about how to do it.

It's about sizes of slicks that are in kits and those available from resin dealers. 

I'm interested in making a chart that lists the different sizes available. I have for instance 3 Revell 70's F/C kits, each with somewhat different sized slicks.

Anyone interested?  Anyone willing to add to the list?

Don't worry if in inches.  We can now convert the measurements if needed.

Anyone?

Hi Jon, I'll just add a couple more to the list I have at the beginning of this topic, and see where it goes.

I've listed all of the slicks I have (not many kits).

Guys, list some tire sizes you have and I'll post them on the list up above.  Good or not good?

Feedback?

• 6 months later...

I wanted to bump this. This would make a good thread to sticky if we can compile something.

A list of kit tires, aftermarket tires etc.....

I've been pouring through this forum and the aftermarket sites and trying to decide what I want to use for the 70s era funny cars I have lined up to build.

Seems the Revell tires from the new Hawaiian and Chi Town Hustler models have the best / accurate tires as far as fit, but the shiny vinyl stinks and doesn't hold dull coat (I'm sure I applied it wrong ha)

Haven't experimented with the AMT drag slicks but the ones I have that came with a couple kits.... the pad printing looks cracked / not well done

I'll take some dimensions on the revell tires later